Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #31
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Wow... What a gorgeous flock! ooh those silkies are tempting. I might wind up with one yet! LOL, "chicken collecting". I am SO guilty of this. I went from 0 chickens at the beginning of this year to 14 hens and a roo and four chicks inside that are babies of my own flock now. ooooh boy.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #32
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Whooo Jena, they are beautiful!! I LOVE the silkies!!!

How is your marans with egg production? I hear different things from different people. Some say 5-7 eggs a week, others say only 3. I have six FBCM chicks (five girls and a roo) and am curious about what to expect!

Brought the babies outside again yesterday and they loved it! I transport them in a cat carrier and just plop it down inside the run and open it up so they can get out. When they all pile back into the cat carrier, I figure it's time to bring them back in (this way I don't have to chase them - ha!).

It's supposed to get colder starting today or tomorrow - won't go above 40 or so. I will probably still put them out during the day, but I will watch them closely just in case they are too cold.

I bought some straw yesterday for bedding in the coop (don't tell DH about the huge mess in the trunk of my car!). On Friday, they will run electric out there (so I really need to get moving on picking out a heat source!)

Sarah, I'm going to take your advice and look for 150w. I think I'm just going to look for tile or panel. Something that doesn't have a fire hazard.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #33
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki it sounds like your chicks are getting so big! I haven't taken my babies outside yet, if the weather is as strangely warm today as it was yesterday I may let them have a little 15 minute jaunt. Re: the heat, I have read a lot about non-light sources and this is one that is talked about for brooders quite a bit. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 For any heat source there's a risk of fire. I hung mine by chains and then as a fail-safe took heavy wire and put a second section of wire around the base and attached it to a screw in the wall. Always use the guard that comes with the lamp unit too and put chicken wire over the front if possible. That will help keep the chicks from burning themselves and if for whatever reason the lamp does drop, avoids contact with bedding. Something I wasn't thinking about till I saw one of my chicks do it was that they might try to roost on it. So I don't hang mine where they can fly up on it anymore.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Babies update! We are a week old tomorrow. Getting wing feathers in and growing fast.

Group shots!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, Liz! I ended up ordering a heat panel from ShoptheCoop.com. It was pricey, but I felt much more comfortable with it. I've read a lot of coop-going-up-in-flames stories, and it leaves me utterly terrified!

The chicks are back outside right now. Still warm today! But we do have to go out this afternoon - I hope they are agreeable when it's time to come in!

I put them all in a cat carrier to bring them outside, then just plop it in the run and open the door. I let them play until they all go back inside the cat carrier to sleep, then I shut the door and put them back in the brooder.

Won't be long before they are living in the coop full-time! It makes me a little sad!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I remember the first night I put my first group of chicks in the big coop. It was sad. I hardly slept worrying about them. LOL The house was so quiet!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I remember the first night I put my first group of chicks in the big coop. It was sad. I hardly slept worrying about them. LOL The house was so quiet!
I'm glad the coop is right outside our bedroom window! I'm gonna have to take a flashlight to bed with me. LOL

And the chicks are getting HUGE! They look like miniature chickens now, not chicks. A couple of them are starting to show some copper on their necks!!! Moreso on General Tso, and a little on Barbecue.

I'm already itching for more baby chicks! LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #38
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jena, Welcome! I seriously love your flock! Lovely ladies.

Bekki, I have the littles coop by my bedroom window. I too sleep with a flashlight, lol. I don't think I'll ever feel safe, esp after my broody being taken! Great news you found a heat sorce!

Like Liz, I screw mine for security. We put them on the rafter beams and add tons of screws. I also wrap the cords around the rafters and out through the top vents. I worry so much about them.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #39
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Patients has gained 4 whole oz!!!!!! She's 11.4! Well, 4.2 oz! She's eating the hand feeding mix I make out of a bowl!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #40
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That's wonderful Sarah!! My littles seem to be growing at light speed. They're getting a little cabin fever too. Going to have to take them out today.