Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I need reassurance...

That my DD will not nurse this much forever. She is 19 months and I am exhausted. There are days that she wants to nurse as often as she did when she was tiny. I was at a playgroup today and was chatting with some other moms who have nursed toddlers, and theirs were all down to 1-2 sessions a day long before 19 months.

I really want to do this at her own pace, but lately things have been especially hard. She has had what seems like 3 colds in a row and is barely eating, so nursing even more than usual (even though the usual is still a LOT). She is also getting several teeth and is nursing all night long.

So that's all I need. Reassurance. Please and thank you!

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I need reassurance...

hang in there, mama

I don't know when it will pass, but it will.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I have never nursed a toddler so do not know for sure. Sounds like she is going through a lot right now so that might be why. I bet once those teeth come in and the cold goes she will chill out a bit.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Big hugs, mama!! I fed DS on demand until around 18 months, and was wiped, so I feel for you. I cut back nursing by offering food first, and he was so excited to eat big boy food that nursing became a morning/night thing, and the. He eventually weaned himself. This is temporary, promise. She's still super little.

Also, if she's sick, it may be a comfort thing, and once she gets better, maybe you'll get a bit of a break

Hang in there! You're doing great!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you ((hugs)). I'm nursing my 18 month old and some days it's like every half hour. Other days are only once or twice then at naps. So I really do think it has a lot to do with what is going on with them (sick or whatever....) and also I think she nurses more when she feels the stress of the household. I have two older and sometimes things just get crazy and I think that is her comfort. Her safe place. I will not last forever and it will pass before you know it.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry! She won't want to nurse when she's a preteen If you're worn out you can always introduce a lovey during her nursing sessions and hold it close to you. When she starts to wean she'll have that (and it will smell like you).
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter didn't begin eating enough solids to begin nursing less until she was 15 months. And she is still a determined nurser (3-4 times a day) at age 3. Some kids are just boob fiends. DD#2 nurses like a "normal" baby (every 2-3 hrs and sttn) so I know it's not me.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
aries416
Registered Users
seller

It will get less!

My son is almost 26 months and he JUST started nursing less and eating more. Like within the last week.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
That my DD will not nurse this much forever. She is 19 months and I am exhausted. There are days that she wants to nurse as often as she did when she was tiny. I was at a playgroup today and was chatting with some other moms who have nursed toddlers, and theirs were all down to 1-2 sessions a day long before 19 months.

I really want to do this at her own pace, but lately things have been especially hard. She has had what seems like 3 colds in a row and is barely eating, so nursing even more than usual (even though the usual is still a LOT). She is also getting several teeth and is nursing all night long.

So that's all I need. Reassurance. Please and thank you!
I'm right there with you ! My 14 month old is the same way now . I keep hoping he will slow down and nurse less as I'm due in August and having tender breast I cringe when he latches to nurse and it seems that's all he wants to
Do lately

married ❤attached mama to L(8/07) and J(9/11) expecting baby #3 in August
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My toddler nursed a lot until around 20 months. Then I just started feeding her more and cutting out nursings (I was pregnant at the time, so it was necessary iMO) It will pass. Especially if she's feeling sick, I can see why she'd be relying on you. It's also probably her personality; my first was like that and nursed a lot even after we started solids, but I can already tell that the little guy would be eating more solids if I was offering. He's way more distracted while nursing than she was, also.