Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
c&w's mama
Registered Users
Re: Mamma's who work outside the home....

as a WOHM, just wishing you good luck Sadly, I have to use disposable if I want DS where he is. But I just try to throw in diapers at minimum 2x a week so I don't get overnight ammonia-- I'm all over the place so I'll be taking notes from the others who respond...

a happy mama with
thanks DH
Will almost always trade for yarn (vanilla. peppermint.)
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Registered Users

I wash every 3rd day. I have a mixed variety in my stash - pockets, AI2, AIO (FB, BG 4.0, BB). We have a large stash ~30 inserts and tons of covers (the Best Bottom), and about 40 FB and BG 4.0). We use Best Bottom for daytime and daycare. DS goes to daycare 2x a week for about 6 hours and I send 4 inserts and an extra cover with a wet/dry back each day he's there. No issues with daycare with the BB system. She even swish/dunk solids for me but now he goes in the potty!

For overnight, we use pockets stuffed with hemp doublers. I was double-stuffing with MF inserts at first but that didn't last long now that he's grown and the volume has increased! We've just had a baby and we're using all AIOs per DH's request. We used PF and covers with DS. I also wash every 3rd day and have about 45 in my NB stash. Purchased a few OS AIOs to try out recently. Haven't used them yet but our stash is ever increasing and I've just sold a ton of fitteds and covers we no longer use!

Oh and the wash routine....washed in Country Save: cold soak, hot wash with extra rinse cycle and a normal wash cycle in warm. I line dry everything. Occassional stripping (maybe once every 3 months or so). We have hard water, even with a water up is inevitable, I guess but that isn't so bad. I just piggy back on the routine wash day with additional soak/rinses to strip once the diapers are cleaned.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Registered Users

Another BGE family here! They work great for daycare and you don't have to stuff a billion diapers, then unstuff a billion raunchy diapers that have been at the bottom of a wetbag for three days. We generally wash 2-3 times per week (since we use coin-op) so I send diapers twice per week in a hanging wet or wet/dry bag. We only bring the bag home on wash days. We also send cheap fleece liners (keep LO dry and make poop cleanup easier once you get to solids).

Once DS was about 5-6 months he started out-wetting the BGEs at naptime (or maybe there was user error involved). So now we also send Grovia AI2s pre-loaded with a booster for naps. I generally send 1 or 2 aplix shells at a time with ~4 soaker+booster combos. It's sufficiently different that they never get confused about which diaper to use for a nap, and also with aplix there's less chance of a user error.

The only thing that take time away from DS is cleaning out the poopy diapers for 5-10 minutes twice per week. DH takes the diapers out of the dryer after I've gone to bed and I pack them in the wet bag while I pump hands-free in the morning :-)

ETA: Whatever system you choose for daycare, make it as easy on them as possible! If you're sending snap diapers I think you should make sure they all have the same snap configuration (for example, a mix of BGE and BG 4.0 probably wouldn't be an issue). And don't expect that they will necessarily re-use covers -- they may, or they may forget and put them in the dirty bag. Not sure if all DCPs are the same, but ours much prefered DS' AIOs vs prefolds and aplix covers that two other boys use.

Last edited by meljc; 12-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Registered Users

My boys are in daycare full time, so I send 5 dipes per day (he is 2 now, so doesn't use as many as he used to) and a large Bummis tote bag for the dirties. We use sposie wipes there, as I don't feel like having to bring wipes every day. I wash every 2-3 days, depending on how quickly he goes through them. We use Bottom Bumpers side snap all in ones. I just have to snap the soaker back in and stick them in the bag and they are all ready to grab as we go out the door.
Mom to Micah, born 10/6/08And Isaiah, born 8/23/10
Use Swagbucks and earn free stuff just for being online! Yup, it really is free!
MamaJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have 24 GMD Workhorse fitteds, and a ton of wool. I also have prefolds that I use for backup/6yo night time inserts. I wash Weds overnight, and Sunday during the day.

I have a nanny, so I don't have to deal with packing diapers for daycare.
Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06 , Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Users

I have a 1 month old who will go to daycare next month when I return to work. I plan on sending him with trifolded prefolds in covers (about 8-9 a day) and bringing them home in a wetbag to wash every night.

When he fits, I have 18 B.G. 3.0's that I used with my DD that are daycare ready. Same plan, but I'll likely only wash every 2-3 days then.
WOHM and to Jon (6/2006). Mamma to daughter Elli (12/2009) and Jacob (11/2012) Crazy Florida Gator fan , beach bum, and outdoor enthusiast!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Registered Users

I have a one year old and I have a 2.5 year old both full time in cloth. We have about 40 or so BG 4.0s snap and aplix mix. Dad uses snaps and nanny uses aplix. Otherwise, we use fitteds and wool. I do wash three times a week always at night Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. Neither the nanny or husband do poop so, that is my special surprise at the end of the day is to go and swish off all the diapers from the day. Yeah! DS1 will start preschool in January and I will send a wetbag with three diapers in it daily.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote