Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users

S/O Saxon Math?

This is not one that I've ever considered but I see that Classical Conversations recommends it. Any opinions?

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We use it and love it. It has a spiraling curriculum, so what you learn on page one you will see again, and again, and again. This makes sure your child does not forget it. It also moves very nicely imo. We do both math 1 for dd and math 5/6 for ds.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O Saxon Math?

I use it with my oldest and love it for him. He can sit down to work on his math while I work with my youngest. It would not however be ideal for my youngest, too much book work.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The spiral approach was incredibly boring for my son and he cried almost every day and wouldn't do his math with Saxon. We are using Singspore and he is enjoying math now. It really depends on your child. I have to admit that e lessons were incredibly boring to teach and very scripted. We didn't like it for the younger years, but might try it again later.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

my daughter does the 7/6 book and hates it :X
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

We love Saxon Math. My boys are all advanced in math and generally work 1-2 grade levels ahead. Saxon is a perfect fit for them. It's challenging, which we enjoy.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My Saxon experience is all based on our public school system, but it really depends on your kid!! My oldest used it in public school and it was awful for her. (She is homeschooled now.) My 2nd child is currently using it in public school and it's wonderful. Totally different kids, totally different learning styles. I was actually biased against it because of my previous experience but now I see it can be a good curriculum.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree it depends on the kid. We used it in public school, and I hated it. So boring and repetitive.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn
We use it and love it. It has a spiraling curriculum, so what you learn on page one you will see again, and again, and again. This makes sure your child does not forget it. It also moves very nicely imo. We do both math 1 for dd and math 5/6 for ds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Lee
We love Saxon Math. My boys are all advanced in math and generally work 1-2 grade levels ahead. Saxon is a perfect fit for them. It's challenging, which we enjoy.
Totally agree with these. I've used it and it's what my mom used when we were growing up. We were always a couple grades ahead, so it wasn't tearfully boring. The little boy I taught was terribly let down by the public school system and his math skills were lacking. The way Saxon math operates, what he learned one week built on what he had learned a couple weeks prior. It kept everything fresh in his mind and forced him to actually LEARN the principles, rather than do enough just to skate by. It was exactly what he needed, and for more advanced students like my brother and myself, it presented just enough new material at a time to be challenging without frustrating.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
growingmichaels
Registered Users

We have used Saxon math since we started homeschooling and love it. It is the one subject I have not changed curriculums on. I like the spiral approach and my kids enjoy the work. So far it has worked for two of mine...and I don't forsee the third having any problems with it when she comes up.
growingmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote