Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: St Nicholas day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
For me it's a Catholic thing We celebrate lots of feast days no one has ever heard of. I don't know if non-Catholics around here do it, but growing up, it's just what all of my Catholic friends and family did.
Same here.

My kids are watching a cartoon movie about St. Nicholas that they watch each year on the eve of St. Nicholas Day. They've already got their shoes all nice and lined up too. They're excited. They are each going to get a strawsome straw, a fun little trinket toy, 3 chocolate coins, and a mini candy cane.

It's fun to hear that other people are celebrating St. Nicholas as well. I like the idea of doing the stockings that day... wish I'd thought of starting that tradition with our kids. But I think it's too late to change it now.

Advertisement

Last edited by lizgrace07; 12-05-2012 at 06:24 PM.
lizgrace07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Is it weird that I get skeeved out by putting stuff in shoes LOL! That's why we just do stockings.

I wonder why it's so prevelent in our state and in other places people have never even heard of it?
By "fill" our shoes, I mean we scatter stuff in the general area. I don't even think the dog would eat something out of DH's shoes.

I grew up in the northern part of the state, and we didn't celebrate at all in my family. DH is from Waukesha and really attached to the tradition, I don't know why, but I'll go along with it for the chocolate.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010

By "fill" our shoes, I mean we scatter stuff in the general area. I don't even think the dog would eat something out of DH's shoes.

I grew up in the northern part of the state, and we didn't celebrate at all in my family. DH is from Waukesha and really attached to the tradition, I don't know why, but I'll go along with it for the chocolate.
It must be a southern WI/MKE area thing (I grew up just north of MKE). Maybe b/c of all of the German immigrants?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
It must be a southern WI/MKE area thing (I grew up just north of MKE). Maybe b/c of all of the German immigrants?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

You're probably right. I'm from southeastern Wisconsin and you'd have to live under a rock to have never heard of it here.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
For me it's a Catholic thing We celebrate lots of feast days no one has ever heard of. I don't know if non-Catholics around here do it, but growing up, it's just what all of my Catholic friends and family did.
It's big in Anglican churches too. Every year when we have our advent tea, St Nick comes and we take pictures with him.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm in Mn and grew up doing it!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do. I've had the stuff for it, but thank goodness DD1 had a post it note reminder in her planner from school. I then put that post it note on my kitchen faucet, lol.

We put shoes outside the front door. The girls were super excited to put theirs out tonight they wanted to do it before we had dinner. DD3 put boots outside so there would be more room for things.

They always have a new DVD they want so that has been the tradition the past couple of years. I'm kind of excited, especially since DD2 had asked about getting the new Tinkerbell DVD just tonight. Last year they got a Christmas marker coloring thing and a pack of bubblegum with their movies. This year they are getting a Christmas necklace to make along with a giant Airhead and their movie.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in Germany and we do it. I'm guessing Wisconsin has a lot of German roots and that may be why it's so common there. I live in Utah, by way of Oregon but I still do it. It's family tradition,and there's chocolate.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Now you are making me want to start this tradition in my family! My kids would love it. Unfortunately it is too late for today, so maybe I'll pretend tomorrow is the Eve of St. Nicholas day and tell them about it and St. Nicholas.

And wow!!! My 7,000th post!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is so weird! Ok I was born in SE WI and never heard of it until I moved up to the green bay area. I was like yes! More chocolate lol because I got a st nick stocking like my friends but also got a stocking full on christmas. My dh grew up in the wausau area and they did it too

Now I'm back in SE WI and no one seems to know what I'm taking about when I mention st.nick. The cashier at target looked at me like I had 3 heads.

So do you guys set out stockings xmas eve too? I do. Plus my mom does stockings at her house too. I told her NO CANDY!