Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: St Nicholas day

The only people I've ever known to celebrate it are DH's family. They lived in Belgium for 9 years (as missionaries), which is when they started celebrating it. My MIL gives us a gift bag full of goodies every year on this day.

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #22
Nora+6
Registered Users

Huh. I grew up 15 minutes outside of MKE and now live 40 minutes out. We did it growing up, and I've done it with all of my children. It's fun for the little ones who are anxious for Christmas, especially. We've always lived in this general area of the state, and I've never met anyone here who'd not heard of the holiday...with my older kids, it was always a big thing the next day (at school) for kids to talk about what "St. Nick" brought them. I never thought about it being a regional thing for those without direct cultural or religious ties. Interesting.

Funny enough, 7 years ago, "St. Nick" filled my stocking with a baby boy, fresh out of my tummy! His stocking this year holds a book, a few miniature candy canes, a chocolate bar, and a page of stickers.
Nora+6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
This is so weird! Ok I was born in SE WI and never heard of it until I moved up to the green bay area. I was like yes! More chocolate lol because I got a st nick stocking like my friends but also got a stocking full on christmas. My dh grew up in the wausau area and they did it too

Now I'm back in SE WI and no one seems to know what I'm taking about when I mention st.nick. The cashier at target looked at me like I had 3 heads.

So do you guys set out stockings xmas eve too? I do. Plus my mom does stockings at her house too. I told her NO CANDY!
Really? That's kind of strange. On all the Walgreens signs I see "St Nick day December 6th" all over, etc etc. The kids all talk about it (well my dd goes to a religious school so that could be why) It's super fun

ETA: no we don't do stockings on xmas, just st Nick day.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #24
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good thing I woke up, lol! I fell asleep before my older two and I just woke up a bit ago to use the bathroom and I ALMOST went back to bed. Yikes! Filled the stockings and now I can't sleep. So excited! So I'm going to share what I got them:

Savannah: Tinkerbell notebook and pen, soap/lotion/shower gel, tube of playdohs, cane full of m&ms, a santa chocolate, a tinkerbell ornament, and a webkins

Mariah: metal slinky, chinese puzzle game, tube of playdohs, cane of m&ms, a santa chocolate, sponge bob ornament, and a webkins that looks just like her little "Molly" whom she absolutely loves so she'll be super excited to get a big sister version

Alannah: a book, hello kitty hair things, tube of playdohs, cane of m&ms, santa chocolate, dora ornament and a webkins.

I'm so excited! I love St Nick day. And when I went out to get their stockings to fill, "someone" filled my stocking with some gum, a little stuffed animal and some other stuff. So sweet of my girls to want me to be included.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #25
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
We do. I've had the stuff for it, but thank goodness DD1 had a post it note reminder in her planner from school. I then put that post it note on my kitchen faucet, lol.

We put shoes outside the front door. The girls were super excited to put theirs out tonight they wanted to do it before we had dinner. DD3 put boots outside so there would be more room for things.

They always have a new DVD they want so that has been the tradition the past couple of years. I'm kind of excited, especially since DD2 had asked about getting the new Tinkerbell DVD just tonight. Last year they got a Christmas marker coloring thing and a pack of bubblegum with their movies. This year they are getting a Christmas necklace to make along with a giant Airhead and their movie.
OOH, I got the new tinkerbell movie for my girls too! For xmas though, not St. .Nick day
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #26
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
Now you are making me want to start this tradition in my family! My kids would love it. Unfortunately it is too late for today, so maybe I'll pretend tomorrow is the Eve of St. Nicholas day and tell them about it and St. Nicholas.

And wow!!! My 7,000th post!
Why not! They won't notice. Start a new tradition! I started when my kids were about 4 and 2. I decided it was a nice way to split up the holidays. Plus it's educational learning about the life of St. Nicholas. What I really love is being able to give them Christmasy things for them to be able to actually enjoy for three weeks. You know, like new ornaments for the tree, christmas socks, hairbows, vidoes, etc. Kind of silly to give them ON Christmas because then they can't really use them till the next Christmas season. So I always give some sort of Christmasy thing. This year it's a new ornament for each of them.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
an_aurora
Registered Users

My ex-DH grew up celebrating it. His family is very Catholic and very into the holidays, and they did St Nick's day every year.

We are non-religious but the kids' school also celebrates it by talking about it, and St Nick leaves a treat in their shoes at school overnight, and also leaves a note about something they do well at and something they need to work on.

I bought stocking stuff for them. I went a bit overboard so they will probably get another full stocking at Christmas.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #28
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I grew up with the stocking on St Nicks and not at Xmas. Was talking to DH tonight and he grew up with a stocking at Xmas, but not St.Nick (he moved around a lot, but his parents are from Iowa and Illinois). I thought it was strange last Xmas when his mom had stockings for us to open; I was thinking she missed St.Nicks!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #29
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update! *add your pics* St Nicholas day

bump for update
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #30
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We did a true celebration of it when I was a kid. The boot/shoe at the kids door.
Being so poor I didn't do it with DD. Might do it next year. I would do it the authentic way. Well German way.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.