Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: LOW milk supply.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing such difficulty in BFing. How long have you been sleeping? Maybe a rest and sleep together with the fluids and veggies might help. Hope things will get better soon.

Advertisement

sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetDD View Post
I'm sorry that you are experiencing such difficulty in BFing. How long have you been sleeping? Maybe a rest and sleep together with the fluids and veggies might help. Hope things will get better soon.
I try to sleep when she does. She's up either every hour at night, or (mostly) every 2-4 hours. Thank you! I think it might be on the verge of getting better. Because last night she nursed very well.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I have to be on meds to successfully nurse and keep my supply up. I take Metformin for my PCOS, luvothyroxine for my thyroid, and Reglan for my milk. I use reglan vs domperidone as I cannot afford dom and my insurance pays for reglan.
Have you had any side effects from the reglan?
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Ladies, I'm still having issues. In the past 48 hours she's had formula at all but one feeding (after I attempt to nurse from both sides). I don't leak when she pulls off, I can't get anything from pumping, and I'm hardly feeling my letdown like I used to. I'm starting to get really worried. AND my pump suddenly stopped working!! The suction is failing.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, how did it go today??
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #26
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Okay so far. I'm nursing her now, and I think she's good with just one side. I hope this is how the rest of the day goes but I doubt it. I'm going to be out of the house today but I'm going to keep my fenugreek with me.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww, hang in there!! I went to bed thinking about you and I woke up thinking about you & your DD... I feel terrible for you!! I am guessing it wouldn't be a placenta issue if you had this happen another time.

I think that if you can afford it, I'd call a lactation consultant (or maybe you can talk to the hospital one for free... I forget if you said you already talked to one??)... if you can't talk to an LC (or maybe even if you can just to get as much info, as fast as possible), I'd find a local LLL leader/group. They have FABULOUS leaders & will really do whatever they can to help you figure something out! http://www.llli.org/webus.html

Hang in there!! Keep us updated as to how things are going... & as next to impossible as it is, try to keep your stress down & be kind to yourself .

Also wanted to add that all of my DC got frustrated (as does my newbie) when trying to nurse & would cry, pull off, etc. because my let down takes a good 2 mins or so... they also did (do) it when very tired so I usually have to walk around bouncing them & patting heinies to get them to settle down.. then when the milk comes out they are usually happier & calmer... unless they have to burp... I know "they" claim breastfed babies don't need to be burped, but mine have always burped like truck drivers... when my milk flows, it usually comes out really fast & they apparently suck down lots of air too... and sometimes they seemed to just want to nurse & NOT have much come out, as if just to suckle like a paci... my DS just arched his back, pulled off, & cried after I nursed him on the other side when my milk came out... he was happy as could be before the milk came... apparently he just wants a human paci ATM... and/or he wants me to pace around while he nurses.

Anyway, just trying to encourage you ...

FWIW, I have a 12 wk old now & I can barely pump anything out (hand pump)... I have always had that once my babies are not bitty newborns.

Last edited by daddyn4wisechix; 12-14-2012 at 07:59 AM.
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you ladies aren't pushing formula like everyone else. I'm not ready to give up just yet, and it's driving me crazy. I feel like I can't feed her. I have spoken to a lactation consultant. I've heard it's just a growth spurt, and it's my letdown. But.. I really don't think it is. When she pops off and starts fussing, I keep putting her back on, like 5-10 times. If it still doesn't work, I switch sides, and keep putting her back on if she pops off. That should cover enough time for my letdown to occur, but it doesn't. I just need to make sure I pump after feedings, or lack thereof. I'm also going to make more lactation cookies!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #29
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd never push formula unless she seemed to be not growing, etc.

Now I recall the LC saying growth spurt... I say TRUST YOUR GUT... YOU know it is more so keep at it. If my newbie is tired, he will often do what your DD is & refuse to nurse UNLESS I walk around w/him to get him to settle down.... & if I sit down when he starts to nurse, he will cry, writhe, & fuss... yet when I started to pace he nurses right away like a champ. I am TIRED, but losing my baby weight very fast!! LOL One of my DD's was like my DS... I walked for miles & miles in my house... lost all but 5# of my baby weight by 2 months.... lost that & even more by 4 mos. She did eventually settle down w/that & I found I didn't have to walk as much while nursing at about 5-6 months.

Keep up doing what you are doing! Oh, one more thing... try hand expressing after pumping... I saw a video that showed how inefficient pumps are (even the expensive, hospital grade ones) & how to hand express even more milk out after pumping... it was crazy how much milk could be hand expressed even after pumping... & even if nothing comes out, I'd do it for a few minutes to help stimulate even more milk.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

She's gaining weight, which is so fantastic. But I can't help but wonder how if we're having these issues?? I'm going to attempt to walk with her as I nurse and see if that works! (: And I'll look up that video, too. Another reason I really don't want to give up BFing is the weight loss I only lost weight during my pregnancy because of thyroid disease, so I was already lighter. THEN I lost 10 lbs directly after birth, and another two months in the month after that. And I haven't even started my exercise routine yet, which I plan to soon (: