Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
immunity booster

My ds2 has been battling pneumonia for the past 2 weeks. He is generally very healthy but does suffer from a red meat allergy. He has not been sick in years. We have had a really hectic schedule and have not been eating as well as we are used to so I know that makes a difference. Our schedule has slowed down and we are back to whole foods only. What else can we do to help our immune system? His specifically for the pneumonia and then for all of us in general.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: immunity booster

We take probiotics pretty regularly in hopes of boosting our systems a bit... I usually get the kids packs from mercola.com and mix with water for my kids every so often. They are a bit pricey with 4 kids taking them... but we just spread them out and hope that it still helps a bit We have also used herbal immunity boosters... can't remember the brands now...but from our local health food store or whole foods/etc... or even vitacost.com has some good immunity booster options for a bit less usually!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We eat alot of citrus before the cold season hits and if we feel a cold/flu coming on, we will eat raw garlic. I don't know much about pneumonia but my 5 month old is going through the whooping cough right now and he is doing great. (you can read about the advice other mamas offered me on my thread) But I'm pretty much just super boosting his immune system through the day and night, every two hours with colloidal silver and vit c. And my son made a garlic and grapeseed oil mixture on the stove to massage onto his feet so he can absorb it. Anyway hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Garlic, zinc, and vitamin c are all important. Probiotics are, as well. I prefer to do kefir smoothies, but getting them in pill or powder form may be a better choice for you.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! We love kefir! It gets expensive though so I had bought grains and was making it and one day my little jar with the grains I had stored in the fridge between batches disappeared...No one ever fessed up to taking or eating them.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I would really cut out all fruit and sugar from his diety. Sugar lowers the immune system function by 50% for approximately four hours due to the release of adrenalin after eating it. Repetitive and frequent release of amounts of adrenalin beyond what is needed for normal functioning lowers the immune system function. Even natural sweeteners such as honey, jam, jelly, syrup, molasses, ect... will cause this to happen.

Make sure he is getting a ton of proten, our society really does not eat much of it but eggs, beans and meat are great!

Last edited by CntryMama; 11-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
nickiep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that garlic, zinc and citrus works well for boosting the immune system and onions too. My trick i used to do was take a shot of onion juice. I know it sounds disgusting.. it is.. and very hard on taste buds. but it really helps.

I would get out my juicer and juice half an onion or so and take a shot. Juicing onions are not fun with the watery eyes and stuff, but it works. This may be hard to get a child to take so you may want to look into other ways.

hope this helps and that you LO gets well soon.
nickiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make your own Elderberry syrup! I buy the dried berries at whole foods (they are in my stores bulk herb & spice section, with the teas). All you do is boil the berries and mix with honey. There are a lot of good tutorials online and plenty of evidence for elderberries effectiveness at both preventing and treating colds, flus, and viruses.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for the suggestions! We have recently gone paleo from vegetarian and I have noticed a difference in all of us. I will try the onion for myself but idk about the kiddos lol! And thanks for the elderberry suggestion, I will look for them next time I am at our coop.