Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
gil
Registered Users

Car seat for a Yaris

So my Yaris is tiny. With the bucket, my DH can barely fit in the front passenger seat. I was looking at the Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air but the reviews said people had a hard time fitting it in their car. I should also add that I am in Canada so not all the US models are available here. Can you guys take a look at this list and perhaps give me your opinions/preferences? Thanks.

Convertible seats in Canada that RearFace past 30lbs are:
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT model only at this time(35lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT (aka XTSL), Premier 2010 models only (45lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian 2010 models (40lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Compass/First Years True Fit (and probably True Fit ARB, currently due to arrive Jan 2010) (35lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Britax Advocate (35lbs RF/ 65lbs FF) (17" THS)
*Dorel/Cosco/Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 (aka AO/AOE) NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (17.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Enspira NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (15.5" THS)
*Cosco Scenera NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (14.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Avenue (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (16-16.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air, only available at TRU at this point (40lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Britax Roundabout 50 (*note this is not the same as the old roundabout) (35lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (17" THS)
*Graco MyRide (40lbs RF / 65 lbs FF) (17" THS)

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Car seat for a Yaris

I have a friend who owns a Yaris. We have put a True Fit and a Britax Roundabout (not at the same time) in it and they worked with room for a front passneger. I would imagine that all of the Britax convertibles with the exception of the Advocate (due to width) would work just fine. I think that any other seats might take up too much front to back room to work.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How old is your LO? If your child is sitting upright on his own and has good head control, he could potentially use a Radian with an angle adjuster. I think that would probably work for you.

I've only ever seen a Yaris up close with car seats once. I can't remember which car seat the family was using. We did determine it was possible to install a prototype of a Clek Foonf rear-facing in it, though. I guess that would be another option for you, if you have the budget for it.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
gil
Registered Users

He is almost 8 months old. He sits up well with good head control.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that Babies R Us in Canada carries the Radian in the store. Down here, they'll let you try a seat out in your car. Hopefully they will in Canada, too. If they don't have an angle adjuster for you to try with it, take a 2" thick book (like a phone book) and set it under the car seat's "butt" to try it for fit. That will give you a good approximation of how the seat will fit with the angle adjuster. You can find pictures online of the Radian with angle adjuster.

I don't know what the price point is for the Clek Foonf in Canada. It's crazy expensive here, but then again all seats are crazy expensive up there so maybe it's not so bad. Last I heard, they had Canadian shipments ready to go and were waiting for government clearance. That was about a week ago.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote