Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Keep the clothes or give for consignment?

If you feel any attachement to the clothes do not lend it out there is a 50/50 chance you wont get it back. I lent 18 dresses in size 12-24 months to my sister for her daughter because they where tight on money. I continually reminded her that they where lent I planned on having more children. My sister could not wait the couple of months until I went to visit her and gave all fo the out grown clothing away. I am still upset about it but nothing i can do about it I just never lend anything. I either keep it or give it away. I do not plan on getting things back any more.

Advertisement

Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Keep your favorites, consign what you can, and give away the rest. I agree with Anna0623. Don't lend out clothing (or anything child related) thinking it may come back in the same condition. It may come back stained or not come back at all.

You have no obligation to pass on clothing to the future children of relatives. What are you, a warehouse?
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
mkrisel
Registered Users

I kept a bunch of clothes, and although we don't have a season issue yet, I really don't like dressing the new one in hand me down clothes (I was fine with hand me downs from other people with our first) but everything I have now was worms by our first and the look identical and it just bugs me when she is wearing her sisters clothes. Totally irrational, but I basically moved these clothes twice for nothing!
So, I'd sell them!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

If you don't want to give the clothes away then don't. It can be helpful to some, but not everyone will use hand me downs.

If I have a child that will soon fit in clothes I keep it. If I don't then I only hang on to a couple items, "special" pieces or especially awesome vintage items

Personally I don't like having boxes of clothes filling up the closets, and I don't like having dressers full to a point that I can't keep them organized. So I try to keep clothes to a minimum.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I had a LOT more than 3 bins of clothes for DS by the time he was one, LOL, and they are pretty big bins. I kept them until this past summer when he was turning two and decided there were so many in there I didn't even like that much and things that I never used (like sleep gowns for example) because I didn't like the style. Annoying sleepers like things that buttoned in the back or things that just fit really weird, etc. The bins were already organized by age and season. So I went through them, kept the things I really liked, and re organized them.

Everything else I put up for sale in a late season yard sale. It was priced cheap, and things were VERY nice, but we got hardly any baby clothes shoppers. Only a few, and those few did buy a lot. But there was just SO MUCH. The rest I bagged and ended up donating to a neighbor who does foster kid clothing assistance for the foster families that don't get their voucher right away to help buy clothing, and to assist those who get the voucher but need more clothing.

I had absolutely no interest in individually selling things, and I kept most of the stuff that would have been worth anything. CL clothing here I've never had any luck with. People want huge bags with good pictures of everything for like $10. It wasn't worth my time to do that, so donating it was easiest for me personally.

DS was an August baby, we are having an April baby now, but a lot of the stuff like light footie sleepers will still be interchangeable, he had plently of onesies year round for layering and whatnot so I can use all that too. We had lots of cute fleece things for DS for that winter, but we keep our house cozy and warm, and he sweat in those things, so he slept in regular footed sleepers year round.

As far as gender, I was just sure we were having a girl this time. My symptoms were totally opposite and I just had that "gut" feeling like I did with DS when I thought we were having a boy. This one is DEFINITELY a boy too. haha, so don't count on having the opposite gender.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 12-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I didn't (don't) really have anyone to "loan" clothes to, but honestly, if it was something I'd want back I wouldn't loan it to most people. For some reason, people I know seem to think it's normal for all their baby and kids clothes to be all stained and in rough shape. I don't do anything special for DS's clothes, and almost NONE of them have a stain in sight. I don't do stain pre treatments (we don't even own any) and I use normal detergent. If something is really tucky I'll try to get it in the wash that day. Otherwise it goes in his clothes bin and it'll be a week or two before the whole bin gets washed at once. So yeah, I wouldn't loan anything you would be sad to never see again, or see in rough condition.

I spend a lot of time going through clearance racks at lots of different stores to find nice clothes (gymboree, baby gap, etc) for a price we can afford, and much of what I buy isn't replaceable at the cost I paid for it. I'd rather not see it all get trashed.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I have two girls, both with summer birthdays but they grew at such different rates that I couldn't use most of the clothes. Now, dd2 will only wear dresses and her sister at the same size only wore pants... so nothing has ever fit. All I keep now are shoes in great condition, boots of all kinds and coats.

So I'd get rid of most of it. Sell it or give it away but get rid of it.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I think you should hang onto them incase #2 is a girl or you plan on having a lot more babies and have the storage room. I kept my first son's clothes because I knew we would have more kids and it seemed like being born in different seasons didn't matter as much as I thought... they were all different sizes than the other one was at their age and so a lot of clothes actually fit. Then I layered clothes if it was short sleeved onesies, etc. It saved us money.

3 bins is a lot to store though (crazy lady!) so maybe pick clothes to put in 1-2 bins. (definitely keep sentimental articles of clothing)? Either consign the rest or give to a crisis pregnancy center? I was able to use all of #1's clothes for #2 (even though one baby was summer and the other fall), then had to buy some stuff for #3 because the clothes were pretty worn and stained after 2 children. The 4th was a girl and might be the last so I did pass on a lot of my baby boy clothes to a friend who's expecting. I gave them away though, never lend clothes. I keep sentimental clothes in 1 bin for all 4 kids still.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 12-07-2012 at 04:27 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote