Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Contractions in the evening at 18wks?

Call your doctor. Thy will tell you how many contractions you can have before needing to be checked out in the ER.

I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes timed at 6 months when working. When I was able to use a belly support they diminished greatly in quantity and intensity. Rest helped me as well. I was already drinking nearly a gallon of fluids so it certainly wasn't dehydration.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The general rule is to go get things checked out if you have more than 6 contractions in an hour - but for me, my BH contractions will come for an hour or 2, every 5-10 minutes, and they're painful, my whole belly tightening. This is later in my pregnancies, I mean.
Right now, I only get them every now and then, but they are painful or at least uncomfortable. It's still my whole uterus/belly that gets hard with them.

If nothing else comes along (like any weird discharge or something) I would just try drinking lots of water and making sure to put your feet up when you can through the day. I would just mention them at your next appt and see what is suggested.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Just to add- my lower uterus gets hard with Braxton hicks, Not generally my whole uterus.

But what the pp said is my understanding as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

They're braxton hicks contax, and totally normal.

If they get intense and very bothersome, they can be a sign that you are dehydrated, that you are stressed, that you need some rest, or that you are straining too hard throughout the day.

But IME (and this is baby #4) they aren't something to get all panicky about unless you are also having discharge/blood, or they are LABOR pains, and not just uncomfortable tightening of your uterus.

If they irritate you, try drinking a HUGE GIGANTIC glass of water, and laying down for 30-60 mins. Typically, they ease up or go away.

Posture also matters. How are you sitting when you do sit? Are you sitting too long? If I sit for 30-45 mins (watching TV or eating lunch or whatever) and I am not using good posture, I will start having some BH contrax. It's my body saying "Hey, lady, move. This is not a good position..."

Another thing that can cause them is a "full" bladder. Sometimes not full enough for you to notice that you have to pee, but full enough to put just enough pressure on the uterus to irritate it. Try peeing when you are having them a lot and can't figure out why. At the very least, this will ease up some pressure in your abdomen they won't be as intense.

Also if you can monitor your water intake throughout the day, and make sure you are hydrated very well, you probably will not notice them much.

They are a normal part of pregnancy, though. Your uterus is preparing for a huge undertaking, and it is "practicing" or "exercising" itself. It's normal for pregnant ladies to have them, but not normal for them to be very very intense or to last for a long, long time, or be accompanied by any strange or bloody discharge, or for them to be LABOR pains.

Take care of yourself and you should notice an improvement!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

I get contractions (not braxton hicks but real contractions as they can be painful) that don't seem to change my cervix. They believe I have what they call an irritable uterus. I got them starting at 20 weeks with DD, 12 weeks with DS, and 9 weeks this pregnancy. Anyways my midwife has given me lots of things to do to try to lessen them just so they stay under control.
1. Lots of water and fluids
2. Calcium/Magnesuim Pills (high quality)
3. Try a bath when they start up
4. Small glass of wine
5. Try not to lift your LOs (as hard as this is)
6. Don't over do it
7. Most importantly listen to your body

Oh and as far as raspberry leaf tea, if you are having contractions it's better not to drink this tea as it tones your uterus. Best to drink it towards the end of pregnancy instead.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you to all of you! I am happy to know it is normal (no discharge no bleeding here). Today I drank much more and I did not feel any contractions. I will be paying more attention to how much I drink and carry LO, and also ask my OBGYN.
It is so great to find comfort and reassurance here, ladies! Thank you!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
ingrid5699
Registered Users

I've been getting Braxton Hicks since before 12w this time. They are closely related to me being dehydrated which sadly is something I can't always influence because I have hyperemesis. If I have too many and can't keep fluids down I get an IV now.
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Like too much movement stretching. I know when we went to a wedding we were going long he's Floyd reception and I was in agony because was trying to keep up with toddler.q something had a good idea on belt band thing for support.my ob just said that somecould be uterus too stretching cuz I was in so much pain.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Ok I might sound like a total ignoramus here, and sorry to hijack this thread, but you ladies drink wine to calm contractions? I have always understood that you stay totally away from any alcohol until perhaps labor (to help you relax). I know its likely the most dangerous in the first trimester, but I didn't know it was so widely accepted for occasional use at all in pregnancy. This is new to me.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
Ok I might sound like a total ignoramus here, and sorry to hijack this thread, but you ladies drink wine to calm contractions? I have always understood that you stay totally away from any alcohol until perhaps labor (to help you relax). I know its likely the most dangerous in the first trimester, but I didn't know it was so widely accepted for occasional use at all in pregnancy. This is new to me.
I think there are TONS of women who regularly drink a *LITTLE* bit here and there throughout pregnancy. Most probably don't admit it b/c of the reactions they might get.

Personally, I've drank here and there through my previous 3 pregnancies. I haven't yet this time, though. Just haven't had the hankering. If I want to, I'll have a wine cooler with dinner and watch TV.

W/DS, I had lots of contractions early and often, and my midwife also recommended I chill out and have a drink.

By drinking "here and there" I mean --- w/DD, I had maybe 3 drinks my entire pregnancy, w/DS, probably 4, w/YDD, 3 drinks, and none so far this time. So I mean one drink, with a meal, every once in a while. And never hard liquor. That's what is acceptable to me.

IMO, it's not a big deal. I realize some might feel differently, and that's ok, we each get to make our own choices and own them.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote