Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Re: Contractions in the evening at 18wks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
Ok I might sound like a total ignoramus here, and sorry to hijack this thread, but you ladies drink wine to calm contractions? I have always understood that you stay totally away from any alcohol until perhaps labor (to help you relax). I know its likely the most dangerous in the first trimester, but I didn't know it was so widely accepted for occasional use at all in pregnancy. This is new to me.
The occasional glass of wine is recommended by a lot of midwives now days. You definitely don't want to do it in the first trimester when everything is developing though. In Europe many women do drink some wine during pregnancy (cultural thing) and studies show they have less cases of fetal alcohol syndrome. The problem is it's not known how much is too much for each individual (so they can't say 2 glasses a week or the such as a rule) so they don't want to okay it's use during pregnancy here in the states. You obviously don't want to drink enough to get tipsy or start feeling it but just a little to calm your body/muscles. I get time able contractions at times sometimes for hours straight and for me personally wine is one of the only things, that if other things don't work first, without fail calms my contractions. So if a small glass of wine once in a while keeps me from going into premature labor it is definitely something I will try.

Advertisement

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Actually now that you mention it, I grew up in Belgium and I do remember some pregnant women (friends of my parents) drinking wine occasionally. I guess I just didn't realize that some midwives, and just women in general, recommended it. Everyone I know personally has been too afraid to drink it, or atleast that's what they say. Interesting though! Oh and I hope no one thinks I'm judging them, because I'm totally not, I just was surprised that more women drink it in pregnancy than I thought.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Actually now that you mention it, I grew up in Belgium and I do remember some pregnant women (friends of my parents) drinking wine occasionally. I guess I just didn't realize that some midwives, and just women in general, recommended it. Everyone I know personally has been too afraid to drink it, or atleast that's what they say. Interesting though! Oh and I hope no one thinks I'm judging them, because I'm totally not, I just was surprised that more women drink it in pregnancy than I thought.
No worries, you didn't sound judgy to me Just wanted to explain what I had learned and experienced myself since the first time my midwife suggested it during my first pregnancy I was surprised she recommended it as well. Now I have educated myself on it more and am comfortable with my personal choice regarding it but each mama has to come to her own decision about it and what she's comfortable with. It does work for the contractions though, at least for me

ISO/IHA
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #24
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I'd drink more and take it easy. It's your bodies way of saying "slow down."
I agree. I get them when I've been doing to much and not drinking water.

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
but you ladies drink wine to calm contractions? I have always understood that you stay totally away from any alcohol until perhaps labor (to help you relax).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobeano View Post
In Europe many women do drink some wine during pregnancy (cultural thing) and studies show they have less cases of fetal alcohol syndrome. The problem is it's not known how much is too much for each individual (so they can't say 2 glasses a week or the such as a rule) so they don't want to okay it's use during pregnancy here in the states.
It's easier for them to make a blanket recommendation than say it's okay for a drink or 2 and then have something happen with a baby and them/the recommendation be blamed for it.
I think part of that also stems from the way drinking is done over here - in Europe it's more the norm to have a drink with a meal or whatnot, casually. In the states and up here, it seems like it's more common to "go out drinking" - binge drinking - and get drunk. Which wouldn't be good for baby at any point in pregnancy.

Personally, I have stayed away from alcohol with all of my pregnancies. I just don't want to have that risk, kwim? Even if the risk would only be there with excessive drinking.
If I was going to have a drink, I wouldn't drink from 8 weeks (when the placenta starts functioning) through to the third trimester - unless I was having preterm contractions (real ones that were doing something, I mean, not my normal BH ones). But I would have no problem having a drink in the last month of pregnancy especially.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobeano

Oh and as far as raspberry leaf tea, if you are having contractions it's better not to drink this tea as it tones your uterus. Best to drink it towards the end of pregnancy instead.
RRL tea is safe to drink throughout pregnancy. It actually helps BH ease up for some women. The only concern would be in drinking great amounts (a quart or more), which is also fine to do - but only in the weeks preceding delivery.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #27
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started having contactions at 17w with my second baby. Doc said it was fine as long I wasn't having more than 6 in an hour.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
RRL tea is safe to drink throughout pregnancy. It actually helps BH ease up for some women. The only concern would be in drinking great amounts (a quart or more), which is also fine to do - but only in the weeks preceding delivery.
Just speaking from my own personal experience. My midwife specifically asked me if I was drinking it when I started having contractions and told me not to drink it till later in my pregnancy because she said it could actually do the oppisite of slowing things down since my uterus was already toning or contracting on it's own. It's a muscle toner and is really used to prepare for labor. It is known for toning the uterus and improving contractions. May not be a big deal to avoid for those mama's who only have a few infrequent braxton hicks but for me I don't want to do anything to assist my contractions

ISO/IHA
Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #29
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

I've been having Braxton Hicks arrive about 14 weeks on a daily basis. It seems that just thinking about it can trigger them. Staying hydrated helps them be less intense. Braxton Hicks contractions help your uterus to tone and be more effective in labor. I figure I'll just squat and the baby will shoot out me at rapid speeds!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I felt braxton hicks contractions early on with all my pregnancies - nothing to worry about. They are supposed to start early to prepare the body for eventual labor; some women feel them and some don't.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote