Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS TERRIFIED of bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
Some might think I'm weird but take a bath with him.
Ditto. My DS was the same way from birth. EVENTUALLY he got over it but it wasn't until he was 2. What helped is that he played with a couple of kids who thought baths were fun and he wanted to do what they were doing. Eventually the idea that baths weren't torture kicked in.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally feel your pain on this one - dd just came out of that phase. It lasted from just after thanksgiving to about a month ago. So - 7-ish months. She had LOVED her baths - would splash and play and scream in fun. Then, literally overnight, it changed to desperate crying, freaking out, and running away at the mere mention of a bath. And I do mean overnight - one night she was right as rain in the tub, having a good time, the next, she was deathly scared. I have no idea what caused the change - nothing happened - nothing at all. We tried everything. I got in the tub with her. We tried showering together with her standing by herself and then me holding her. We tried letting her make every choice - when to turn the water on, when to turn it off, bubbles or no bubbles, which toys, which washcloth, which cup to dump water on her - nothing worked, she was just too incoherent to even make those decisions. I bought ever bath toy I could fine - the only thing that kinda worked were bath crayons, but they didn't work everytime, were a pain, and git ruined quickly.

It really did just come down to letting her grow out of the phase. She slowly became okay with just standing in water, then she became okay w/ sitting in water, then she became okay w/ splashing in water, then okay with having wet washcloths on her body, and just within the last 2 weeks, with having water poured on her head. It SUCKED - we made sure she got a bath once a week, sunday evening, and just tried to as gently as possible wash her and keep her from hurting herself in the tub, and she s-l-o-w-l-y got better about baths. Now she asks for baths. No kidding.

Two things I think helped: first, I started letting her play in the sink. I would turn the water on, drag a chair up, and let her play w/ measuring cups, funnels, serving spoons, whatever - she started to associate running and standing water and splashing in it with fun. It always makes a mess, as ion, my chair is always soaked by the end and I have to mop up the floor, but it's a good play activity.

Second, dh took her to the store and let her pick out her own bubble bath - she's all excited about the "kitty" bubbles she found. And back when she was just starting to think baths might not be torture, bubbles were a big deal - she insisted on them, and they distracted her enough to allow us to wash her quickly.

*sigh* that was a parenting experience I could have done without - she would just get so upset, her cries were terrible. I hope that phase is gone for good. Hope this info has helped you.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

I could have written your post and my DD will be 3 in October as well (on the 25th). She finally told me tonight that she is scared that she will pee in the tub.?! But she won't use the potty either. We just started potty learning and have been completely laid back and trying not to pressure her, just introducing it. So I don't have any suggestions, but I know what you are going through...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first son went through the same exact thing at around three also. What I did that worked GREAT was I bought some of the Crayola bath crayons and let him color in the tub. They have the paint also, which is a lot easier to clean up. It helped SO much, he loved being able to 'color' the walls..lol
Mum2my2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Thanks everyone. When their dad gets his next paycheck I'll find him some cool bath stuff and try that.
To some of the other posters, LOL: he's HUGE for an almost 3 year old. He wouldn't fit in one of those chairs or the sink, etc. I wish he would. He also refuses to take showers as well.
Interestingly, my twin girls are showing the same scared thing already and they aren't quite a year old yet. Gonna be a long few years of motherhood here, LOL.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
hram
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

one thing that helped my dd was just making it so much fun. she always showered or bathed with me so i would sing and be crazy and silly. her favorite was "singingin the rain" and then spitting water out. maby just letting him watch everyone take their bath/shower and that its ok and there is nothing to be scared of. i hope it helps, but im sure it is a phase. like someone said, you dont see too many adults scared of the shower.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #17
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS went through that phase, and it was a long one. He used to require lots of bubbles, then all of a sudden no bubbles at all - and not a spec of dirt or hair can be in the tub. Rinsing his head was never ever fun.

I think finding different things to make it fun/distracting is the key. I had run out of ideas a few weeks ago. Then I remembered a sample of bath confetti I had gotten. He adored it and wanted more. I found some on clearance at Target and put a little bit in a seperate container and let him sprinkle it into the bath. Other times all he needs is a sponge so he can "clean" the tub.

Rinsing and washing hair has only become easier since DS has been willing/able to lay down in the tub. He recently took swim lessons which I think helped a lot too.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
kendrea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son also went through that phase ... at first he LOVED taking baths then all of a sudden he was terrified. It went on for about a week and finally I decided to get his bag of plastic legos (the large ones) and let him dump them into the bath tub and then he decided that he wanted to get back in again. OH I also read that starting the bath water and getting it filled before they come in with help as well. I hope he gets over it fast.
Kassidy 2008
kendrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD did the same thing. Overnight, she went from being happy in the tub to being terrified, but mostly what she was afraid of was anything floating in the water which she automatically assumed was buggies. This coincided with her being afraid of buggies on the floor and in her room, etc. The only thing that helped her for a while was rinsing out the tub (with her watching) before putting her in and making sure there was bubbles in the tub, which made it to where she couldn't see if a speck of dirt came off her foot and started floating in the water. She was like that for a couple weeks and then was fine again. She will be 3 in Sept.