Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Re: Dry Homebirth, Water Homebirth or Hospital Birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit View Post
ps, I am planning a water birth with this 4th one too...but my mw is bringing a birth stool just in case I wanted to try it.
I've heard of the birthing stool but don't know much about it. How exactly does it help?

After this conversation I am definitely leaning towards a HB and a MW.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't go back to the hospital unless it was necessary. I had a home waterbirth the second time and you just can't emulate the privacy and low-stress environment of home in any of the hospitals around here.
As for what happened to your friend's husband...that sounds weird. I've never heard that before. I don't think that water births are any "dirtier" than land births. I always got in and out of the pool to use the toilet, etc. But....my husband would NOT be allowed in the pool. Personally...I am not all into my husband during labor. I just need my own space. He wasn't involved much either time.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I much prefer home to hospital, although I've only ever had homebirths, so I can't do a true comparison. As far as dry verses water, you could have a birth pool available, but labor or birth wherever you like at the moment. It's not something you need to make a firm decision about in advance. Obviously, if you don't have the birth pool at all, you don't have that option. Of my births (all at home), three of them were planned land births, although I used the shower during those labors. My other two births were both planned as water births. One of those babies was actually born in water, but the other was born on my bed. That land birth wasn't really my choice, but I had been in labor for 50+ hours, and pushing for 26+ of those hours. My midwife needed me on the bed so she could hold my cervical lip out of the way so baby could finally come out.

The story of your BIL getting an ear infection sounds pretty unusual. How does he know it was from the birth pool? I can't imagine that is something that happens frequently.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hospital all the way for me. I've had two wonderful births and could just never be comfortable at home. I was never separated from my baby and my nurses/doctor were wonderful.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had two water births at home. Would not choose to give birth any other way. With home broth you have flexibility. Set up the pool and if you hate it, you can get out. I got out of my birth pool for a couple of contraction during my first birth. They felt so different and hurt so much more that I dove back into the pool and knew I wasn't getting out again until the baby as in my arms.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

We are planning our first home birth in April. I don't want to "over plan" because that's part of what stressed me out about our hospital birth.
We are purchasing a birthing pool, but the bed and couch will also be set up for birthing if I decide I'm more comfortable there. I'm not committing myself to one or the other - it's easier for us to just be prepared for both. I don't plan on ever going back to the hospital barring any life-threatening complications.

ETA: we are also having an on-demand propane/natural gas water heater installed in preparation for the 130 gallon birth pool. hehe. We would have it done eventually, of course, but the $1,600 to have that done is still cheaper than an $8,000-9,000 unmedicated, uncomplicated hospital birth.

Last edited by KelseyH; 12-07-2012 at 08:48 AM.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post

The story of your BIL getting an ear infection sounds pretty unusual. How does he know it was from the birth pool? I can't imagine that is something that happens frequently.
I think he just assumed it was from the birthing pool because he was fine until after the birth. He said that when she was pushing she was leaning on him and he kind of slid down and part of his face went under. So they're thinking maybe there was some bacteria in the water, from either the fluid or maybe she had a small bowel movement (because we all know that can happen), and it got into his ear. Anyway, its good to know that its relatively rare. Besides I don't think I would want my husband in the pool with me anyway, I don't like to be touched, or even spoken to, when in active labor.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I don't want anyone in the tub with me. I don't even want anyone to touch me. I don't even want CLOTHES to touch me. I almost punched the medwife in the hospital when she touched me during labor... I lunged at her apparently (I don't remember, I was out of my mind LOL).

Getting in the tub with me would ensure a very memorable experience for DH..... for all the wrong reasons.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #29
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

totally random double post

Last edited by Kiliki; 12-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I don't want anyone in the tub with me. I don't even want anyone to touch me. I don't even want CLOTHES to touch me. I almost punched the medwife in the hospital when she touched me during labor... I lunged at her apparently (I don't remember, I was out of my mind LOL).

Getting in the tub with me would ensure a very memorable experience for DH..... for all the wrong reasons.
yes, exactly, and the no touching thing is why I want to be at home!!! In the hospital it's harder to control that.

There's a new movie called "birth story" with Ina May Gaskin and the Farm midwives, and there's footage of one of the midwives kissing her husband during labor (right before a shoulder dystocia...), and I just can't get into that idea. Kissing before labor...fine. During labor? No freaking way.