Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
katymf
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bottle before bed - almost 21 month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
They always get brushed, but not right before bed. Usually in the morning, I admit. It consists of us chasing him down, trying to make it a game, and on and on and on. He used to love to do it, but now that he says NO and knows the meaning, its just such a fight!
That is how it is with our 19mo DS. i try and brush them in the morning but mostly we brush at night-we give him his own toothbrush that he looks at and plays with while we have to pretty much open and hold is mouth open for us to get in there!

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Brushing teeth before bed helps prevent tooth decay from milk left on teeth so it doesn't sit all night long.

We gave sippy cup of water starting at age 15 months. Now that DS is 3, she has a little plastic cup of water next to her bed and can refill it herself when she goes potty in the middle of the night if she needs to.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Brushing teeth before bed has been non-negotiable since they got their first teeth at 5 months. They may not like it - we've done our fair share of pinning down to brush teeth - but I'd rather have them have a minute of crying than having to be put under for major dental work later. And they really only fought me on it for a short time until it just became part of our routine.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yes to baba and brushing. Mostly I tried to get lo interested in me brushing my teeth. I have baby toothbrushes in my bathroom and when I'm getting dressed she will demand her brush.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The teeth brushing thing...I used a trick I learned about on here. Lay them down in front of you with their head between your legs and lay your legs on their outstretched arms. I did that for my DD1 for a long time and she though it was funny. It sounds kind of mean but it doesn't hurt and it holds them still to get the job done.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

We also transferred to a water sippy over night. Gradually offered less and less milk in the evenings and did fun reading/storytelling/songs - something to distract and be more fun.

For the teethbrushing - we do it while they are still strapped into booster seats after breakfast & dinner. They brush their own teeth as best they can (11mo old and 2.5yr old) then we follow up with a better brushing before unbuckling them. The 11mo old still sometimes screams while we do the followup clean. But, it's not up for debate, so we just plow on and wait for them to accept it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

My older kids all took bottles at bedtime for a long time. I would say probably till 2. My 4th has never really liked bottles so she gets a sippy cup of water at bed. The only child that has had any dental problems is my ds2. I don't have any advice for teeth brushing as my dd2 hates to have her teeth brushed. Our ped recomended trying a battery powered tooth brush to make it more fun. We haven't tried that yet. Maybe all the kids will get them in their stockings this year.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just planned on going with the bottle as long as we felt comfortable with it. But around 14 months she started getting really attached and clingy and dependent on it. So we switched to sippy cups (milk before bed, and/or water in the crib) and she seems ok. Occasionally she gets up in the middle of the night and desperately needs her milk cup. She rarely drinks it, usually just hugs it.

Becoming really attached to the bottle, and worrying about teeth brushing after milk were the reasons we got rid of the bottle. But I say go with what feels comfortable and natural for your family.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote