Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: If you have a Radian RXT - a few questions.

We have a dodge Durango and the xtsl I think. The one with the head wings. It is rearfacing.

We had no installation issues and have no need of the angle adjuster. The foot or boot or whatever it is called fits where it is supposed to in the crack between the bottom and back ofthe seat with no effort on our part. Since we don't move our seat the weight doesn't matter.

What I don't like is putting all the straps in. It hurt my hands. I am dreading readjusting them when the time comes. Also the headwings do not stay up. Also for some reason one shoulder strap is always slightly looser than the other side.

I do like that they are steel reinforced and not just all plastic. It may not make any difference in real life but I feel better knowing it is there. It was what sold me on it.

Being narrower is also a plus since the back seats in the Durango are not very generous.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Our Radian harnesses are nearly impossible to tighten (and yes, I've tried all the tricks, and yes, I know it is a ratcheting adjuster). I use them only when I need them for 3 across, or if all our other seats are in use.

ETA: OP, what seat do you have now?
Our harness is pretty much impossible to tighten as well. DH has to do it, and when he does it, the front of the Radian lifts off of the car seat. Other than that, we love our Radian. I asked my 5 year old DD if she wanted a new car seat (I want to pass the Radian down to my 2.5 year old), and she said that she wanted to keep the Radian because she loves it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1. What type of vehicle do you have? - 2005 Passat Wagon
2. RF, FF, or both? FF
3. Why do YOU think Consumer Reports put the RXT near the bottom of their ratings for ease of use, RF fit to vehicle, and FF fit to vehicle?

**ETA one more:
4. How do you feel about the Radian? Love it, hate it, indifferent?

I love my Radian. It is the reason that I was able to keep my car and three kids in car seats. But I do not remove them because I can not get them back in. LOL So I have two extra Radians to sub out when the kids go on field trips at school. (Preschool)

We have 4 cars and 11 carseats.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
an_aurora
Registered Users

I've had three Radians in many different cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Venture, Ford Taurus, Ford Explorer, BMW X5). I really hate the seat. I actually have it sitting out in our storage shed at the moment because it's impossible to tighten. I can't use it RF in my SUV because it's incompatible. FF it installs fine, but I can't tighten the harness.

I did love it RF in the Explorer and Grand Cherokee, though. It installed like a dream in there. Otherwise, I loathe the seat.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
Wildcat671
Registered Users

Yesterday I discovered this thread while looking for recommendations if I had to replace my Radian XTSL. I am appalled that there are so many with problems tightening the harnesses on their Radians.

(That's exactly why I was looking to possibly replace mine. I had contacted Diono about it, and because I am outside of warranty, they were deciding whether they were going to help me, so I was looking for recommendations if they didn't)

I sent Diono a link to this thread, letting them know that there were others with problems, and their response was that they were aware there were problems and they sent shorter harnesses to anyone who contacted them about it, and that always fixed the problem...

So, I urge you guys that have problems to contact Diono and hopefully they will do right by you, but more so, PLEASE report this seat to the NHTSA. I made my report this morning. I know most here will know the proper way to check strap tightness and such, but the average parent doesn't (as evidenced by the times I had yelled at my husband for not tightening the Radian enough...before I realized the SEAT was the problem, because he KNOWS how the straps should be). It makes me ill to think people buy this seat thinking they are protecting their child, and think that when the harness stops that it's tight enough when it isn't.

I made my report this morning, but the gentleman I spoke with told me they can't come read this thread and consider the problems you ladies have had, they have to get a report from you.

If you believe your Radian is defective or unsafe for the average car seat user, please report it (I can't post links yet, Google "report defective car seats" and use the 2nd link to report defective child safety seats)

Even though they are sending shorter harness straps that will supposedly fix the issue, I have lost all faith in Diono and will not put my son back in that seat We ordered a new seat yesterday. (This seat goes in hubby's vehicle, and is very rarely used, our Radian has maybe been used a dozen times in the 16 months since we bought it. That's why it has taken me so long to realize there was a problem with it. And until I found this thread, I thought it was just my seat!)
Wildcat671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Huh. I can't figure out why a shorter harness would solve anything.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
Wildcat671
Registered Users

I cant either, but supposedly mine is on the way. I will install it and try it a few times to see if the harness is still a problem. I am positively disgusted with Diono now, I truly thought they were a company that cared about the safety of our babies up until now
Old 12-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I can't figure out if the seat is defective, or if they are saying the harnesses don't have to be as tight as I usually tighten them. With the Britax, I tightened the straps so that DS could barely breath (a slight exaggeration, but not much.) With the Radian, I can't pinch the strap at his collarbone but I can fit my whole hand between his tummy and the straps. I'm not pleased with it, but its the only seat that will let me RF DS for much longer. (The complete air was a contender, but DS found it really uncomfortable.)
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I hope you receive your shorter harness. I never received any if the products I ordered. I was refunded the cover and refunded the pads, I was refunded a female buckle, and I was told twice that they would send me female buckles for free and I got what I paid for there as well. So, diono, if you're reading this. . .
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #30
Wildcat671
Registered Users

The only reason I care about receiving the harness is to see if it really does fix it. I've ordered a Clek Foonf for my toddler, I hope it lives up to the hype.