Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

The convertibles we own/owned are a radian XTSL, complete air 65, and britax blvd (old style).

DS is a big kid (41" and 40 lbs at just over 3), so that weighs heavily on what we love.

The blvd was so so easy to install and tighten the harness, but the leg room stunk. DS started to look cramped in that seat by about 10 months, and got too close for comfort to the weight limit very young. We sold it.

I really *like* our radian, but I wouldn't say love. It has great leg room. It installs great in our corolla without an angle adjuster, and in our Prius with an angle adjuster. I like that it can be installed RFing as upright as you can get it. I like the high weight and height limits. We use it for travel and I like the backpack option. Two things keep it from getting *love*: the lack of continuous harness (although admittedly this hasn't been a huge issue) and the harness adjuster (it is sometimes a pain to get tight).

FWIW, the only seat I'd say I loved was DS's keyfit.

Also, I don't like the complete air for RFing very much at all, but I think it's a great FFing seat.

ETA: the width of the radian is also a bonus. But another negative is that the RFing boot has to be attached (it doesn't just push in like for the CA) and that the AA is necessary for install in some cars (eg, a Prius).

Advertisement

Last edited by mrosehughes; 12-08-2012 at 08:48 AM.
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is all VERY helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love our Raidens!! They arent the newer ones, weve had them for about 3.5 years but they are fantastic! Although Rear Facing them is our pain, I cant do it in our big 15 passenger van, believe it or not. But they are great forward facing for my 4 and 5 year old.
For rear facing I love Britax. So easy to install and cute to boot! Im hoping to skip the infant seat and going strait to a Britax for this baby girl. Ive had a Marathon and Roundabout (again, both 3+ years old) and love them both.

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings
I love our Raidens!! They arent the newer ones, weve had them for about 3.5 years but they are fantastic! Although Rear Facing them is our pain, I cant do it in our big 15 passenger van, believe it or not. But they are great forward facing for my 4 and 5 year old.
For rear facing I love Britax. So easy to install and cute to boot! Im hoping to skip the infant seat and going strait to a Britax for this baby girl. Ive had a Marathon and Roundabout (again, both 3+ years old) and love them both.

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)
Thanks Kristen! Good to hear about Britax. I'm wanting Britax & DH wants Radians.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked

Thanks Kristen! Good to hear about Britax. I'm wanting Britax & DH wants Radians.

Try to install the radians. I won't by another. The ease just isn't there for ME. But you might like
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

Try to install the radians. I won't by another. The ease just isn't there for ME. But you might like
I don't have a way to try them or I really would. My DH does all the installing and I know he will get frustrated with anything hard. The 2 we have are easy to install in our scion (and that's where they will stay) so I'm really leaning toward Britax. I don't know what his deal is with wanting radians so badly. We are getting a Subaru Tribeca so space won't be a big deal. If these 2 giant seats fit in the scion then a Britax will fit in the Subaru! I just want cow print marathons. The end.

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 12-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
MacMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a Radian R100 and a roundabout 55 for our 17mo DS (22lbs, 32") in a 2004 Camry, rear facing. The Roundabout is light, compact, and easy to install. The Radian feels much more sturdy and is heavier. It reclines more, but this helps with DS slumping forward when asleep. The install wasn't as easy as the roundabout but wasn't that difficult overall.

"But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me"
MacMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a2 britax marathons. We have used them ff/rf in a Rhonda civic, Pontiac grand pix, fj cruiser, and jeep with no problems. I would not have another seat. My son is almost 3 30 lbs and close to 36 in tall.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DS Forum
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Alright I'm gaining lots of ammunition against DH on this Britax vs radian argument.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We have two Radians. We have an Ody.
Honestly we love them. DH installs them and is always able to a good install.

We dont weigh or measure the kids much (so take it for what it is).
DS will be 3 in Feb. His stats from Aug: 38 1/2 inches and 32 lbs. So hes skinny but super tall. I'm glad we have the Radian for the height. We are thinking we'll have to turn him soon. He only has a few inches till he rests the top of the shell.
DD is 17 months and I have no idea on her stats right now. She loves to hang her legs over the side of the seat when shes napping.

- The profile is low. Something I hate about the MyRide (one of our spare seats). I seriously hate how high the sides are on that thing.
- Its a beast. The Radians are heavy... Its a fact but we dont move them much so its not a deal breaker for us.
- We have a van so the front to back space isnt a big deal but it does take up some space.
- Since DS is tall I really like knowing he has had a tall seat to grow into.

If you go with a Britax make sure you let it air out in the garage or something for a few days. Its the worst seat for off gassing. I'm mobile so its a PITA to search for anything but there was a list of seats that were the worst off gasers a couple years ago and they were at the top.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote