Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have bedshared with my last 5 kids until about 3 years old. They all have great sleeping habits. Go to bed at 8:00, get up at 8:00. No issues staying on bed etc. the one year old is still in bed with us, and my 3 year old with asd is in a crib in our room (she wanders) and usually gets in bed with us at some point.

My oldest 2 girls were in cribs from day one and they were the most awful sleepers ever. They did not transition well to beds, were always waking up and always trying to get up for something.

You will know when they are ready. . If it is working and all are getting good sleep you are not creating bad habits.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long did you co-sleep for?

with my 4th, he pretty much co-slept until he was over 4 and came in bed with us until he was 8 or so. we didn't care. At 14, he puts himself to bed in his own bed when he is tired and all my older kids do as well and sleep just fine. I have always co-slept- the shortest time was maybe 18 mo? (he started sleeping with his brother then) and the longest was the DS at age 4 (or 8, depending on how you look at it, lol). We have a 6 mo old and 2 1/2 yr old in bed with us and (depending on if we had the room at the time), I will probably move them together to a room when they are 2 and 4 or 3 and 5 if they want to.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We co-sleep until it's not working anymore and we are getting less sleep from co-sleeping.

So with my first we started the transition around 6 months and he was in his crib full time at about 9 months.

My second was with us until 9 months and then by 12 months was sleeping through the night in his crib.

My daughter slept with us until 13 months and then moved to a mattress on the floor in her room and we laid with her until she fell asleep until she was 18 months old.

Like I said, we never started the transition until it was becoming a problem where they were more restless at night being with us than without.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I just have one, she is 19 months and cosleeping. She starts out on a separate mattress, but I always end up on her bed or her in ours by morning. I keep thinking that I'd like to get her in her own room, but I'm lazy and feel like it would be a lot of work for something that she'll want to do on her own when she's ready.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Our oldest is 5 and we still welcome her into our bed. Our 19 month old still co-sleeps. We transitioned our first out at 22 months when I stopped nursing. It took another 6 months to get her used to the idea and I would sometimes sleep with her in her room.

People always know someone who has a kid that's older...yadda yadda! I love having them close because they don't stay little forever!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My dd co slept until around 8 years old but not regularly. By the time she was 6 she only climbed in bed when she had a particularly trying day and wanted the reassurance of being near us. Ds1 co slept until arounds 7 years old. Both sleep fine. No sleep issues at all. Dd goes to bed at 9 pm and is up at 6 am. She is 13 years old. Ds1 is supposed to go to bed at 8 but between bathroom runs, drinks, and last minute I need to tell yous manages to finally make it to bed at 9pm. He also gets up at 6am. He is 9 years old.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I forgot ds2 is 18 months old. He Cosleeps. He does have sleep issues. I would attribute them to his digestive issues and cutting between 3-5 teeth at a time not to cosleeping.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:
I coslept until I was about 10! Lol but my parents had 2 queen beds pushed together. It went my dad then my mom on 1 bed. Then my little brother and then me. I was in my own bed by 7ish but I was super excited to have a brother (at 8) so I wanted to sleep with the family again. Thats when they made the huge bed. My best childhood memories are waking up to my brothers smiling little face, waking our parents up, and then just hanging out, talking, and slowly waking up.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh and we dont have sleep problems. I have a hard time falling asleep bit ive had that problem my whole life. It just takes me a while to fall asleep
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

From birth with both girls. We have had 2 in bed for the past 9 months but today is DD1s 3rd birthday and we have explained it is time to start sleeping in her bed. She has had a bed for about a year and some nights she will go to sleep in it but always ends up in our room before morning. She has some sleep issues though. She wakes up in hysterics multiple times per night and has since being an infant. DD2 sleeps way better and probably doesn't even need to cosleep but I like it for nursing and knowing where they are. I think she will be an easier transition when she weans (maybe around 2)