Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_green_cutie View Post

Hi- quick question. I love Dr. Bronner's, too. I would love to use coconut oil, but our house is never warm enough for it to liquefy- it's always a solid chunk. How do you deal with that in using it as a liquid solution? Or do you live in a warm climate where it's not an issue?
I set mine in a bowl of warm water.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Tabatha
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wipes solution recipe for cloth dipes?

Plain water will get a newborn's poo clean, it's the older babies that may need something else. But on sensitive newborn skin I definitely like just water. Any baby shampoo I tried (for baths, not wipe solution) gave my son a rash. The California baby wash was the least rashy so I used that. Weeks later I can give him a bath without a rash, so for a wipe solution I used a couple drops of baby wash in about 4 oz of water. That works fine and recently I added a little olive oil because his butt tends to get irritated/dry. That may or not work, I might want a lighter baby-type oil but it doesn't cause any issues with my diapers. I do only use cotton though
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just use water. Recipes are nice but soap made us break out even a little.....
Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

im also one who uses plain water.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_green_cutie View Post
Hi- quick question. I love Dr. Bronner's, too. I would love to use coconut oil, but our house is never warm enough for it to liquefy- it's always a solid chunk. How do you deal with that in using it as a liquid solution? Or do you live in a warm climate where it's not an issue?
I have used very warm water and it disolves when I drop it in and shake. I just use peri bottles left over from my birth kit. I'm also very lazy with wipes this time so sometimes I may just wet it under the faucet, squirt of soap that I keep in a pump bottle on the sink and then dip the wipe in the jar of coconut oil.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

plain water here b/c i got too lazy to clean out peri bottle container regularly. we also use cj's butter 2-3 daily for moisturizer and yummy smell!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Plain water will get a newborn's poo clean, it's the older babies that may need something else.
I definitely agree you need soap, especially for the older babies/toddlers. Germs from the fecal matter sitting on their skin could get in any breaks in the skin, and soap will take care of that. (Disclaimer: I sell wipe cubes) Disposable wipes contain alcohol or other disinfectants to remove/kill germs.

If people have had trouble with their children's skin breaking out after using a bit of soap, I doubt it's the soap - it's either something in the soap or something else they are adding to the solution. After all, butt skin () isn't any more sensitive than facial skin or really, any part of a baby's skin. So why isn't soap causing problems elsewhere? I know that perfumes and preservatives can cause a lot of trouble - most fake fragrances give me headaches in seconds - I eventually found a supplier that doesn't use phtalates in their fragrance oils, and it's the only brand I've ever been able to stand, so that's what I use in my wipe cubes.

As far as using GSE (or the Tea Tree Oil that was just as popular here a few years ago...) I'd use a lot of caution - TTO has now been studied well enough that it's showing that it's not 100% effective until the solution contains 5-10% TTO (one study said 4%) and that it shows the same properties as antibiotics - in that if they don't effectively eradicate everything, the germs left can develop resistance to the TTO. Not to mention that if you use the TTO or GSE at that rate, it's going to be fairly harsh on skin.

All that said, I can get really lazy and just use water myself, but I notice a difference in how well the poop is removed!

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
ez_green_cutie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I set mine in a bowl of warm water.
Hi, sorry, I meant to ask- after you mix the solution with the warmed coconut oil in it, does it then stay liquefied enough, or does it re-solidify? In other words, can I use the final solution in a spray bottle or is it a thicker consistency? What kind of container do you keep it in?
Thanks for your help!
ez_green_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
ez_green_cutie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WeeEssentials- Thank you for the info. Any synthetic fragrance makes me feel sick, too. Good to know about TTO. I remember when I was a teenager, the magazines were saying to use it on the face to help clear breakouts. It stung me then, so I wouldn't want to put in on my babe's nether regions.
ez_green_cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Plain water here, too. I used to make a solution of baby wash and some kind of oil (coconut usually) but then I got lazy and realized water works just as well.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote