Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long does PUL last?

See, I've gotten BG's used off here 2 or 3 times that had shot PUL. I've also gotten Fuzzibunz. I switch stashes too often to know how long it takes for them to get like that, though. The only ones I've gotten with shot PUL have been off FSOT (unknowingly, of course). I have had diapers for over a year at a time, though, that the PUL was fine in. I think it mainly just depends on the size of your stash, your water, and wash routine.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Textile_Mike
Registered Users

PUL longevity depends on the laminating technique used and the type of film used.

US made PUL uses non-solulable polyurethane meaning it does not break doen in the presence of moisture. Manufacturers specs are typically 200 washes for hot melt laminations (the ones witl the little dots on the back) and 300+ for solvent laminations.

Chinese PUL is made with solulabe polyurethane that becomes porous after repeated or long exposures to water. It's hard to measure the lifespan of this type of PUL but it will be less than 200 washes, and far less when stored in wet pails.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I have some TPU covers that lasted three years, TPU pail liners lasted about the same. I had some hand me down Fuzzi Bunz that went through 4+ kids, but they were all smalls ;-)
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
carolinaem
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have BG 3.0s from 2008 on child number 3.
carolinaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely depends on the type of PUL. I've got hand me down Pocket Change diapers that are at least 5 years old and PUL is fine. Old style pointy tab FB about the same age, also fine. Elastic is shot in some. And I bought new BG 4.0's that cracked like CRAZY in less than a year. Also Bluberry covers that cracked badly within 18 months. My PUL never goes in the dryer. Ever. Would love to know how to weed out the crappy stuff before buying new.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had other stuff give out - cotton, snaps, elastic, and especially Velcro - but never PUL. Some of our diapers have been used heavily for 2+ years and the PUL is still going strong.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

I have some MotherEase Airflows that I bought used and UGLY, yellowed and such. Then, I used them for about five years. They are still here and will be used on the next baby. They look terrible, but the elastic is still good and the PUL is still some of the most reliable I have ever seen. I washed them in hot water with vinegar and baking soda and dried them on high.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me it depends on wash routine...I have both a top loader and a front loader. When washing in the top loader, I have had new covers get tears in the pul (even Bummis, which are usually very good quality). I blame the agitator on the washer.
When washing in a FL, I do not have near the wear and tear on anything. I think the lack of agitator is much gentler on things.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #19
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Everything we've had has been fine, but we haven't been doing cloth for that long - at least not with the current stash.

I used to try a little of everything, and much of that came from used lots on craigslist. Wish I knew the history of them. Some of those diapers were ancient (as in BG 1.0), but most had perfectly fine PUL. I did notice that the ones that had problems tended to be from certain companies: rumparooz and fuzzi bunz mostly.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

There are way too many factors as you can see from the responses here. It really depends on your wash routine, detergent, water conditions, laundry additives, child health issues, etc. I have never had any PUL go bad in six years of diapering. I have a mostly BG stash that is very used. Clearly, my experience has been much different from the several others that think BG has weak PUL. I believe this question has no concrete answer.
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote