Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #61
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine915 View Post

I have one. I first found this baby's hb at 8 weeks (maybe sooner? Can't remember TBH) BUT it took forever and a day to find. I tried again the next day so DH could hear and could not find it. So, checking this early causes plenty of anxiety...although I did still feel really good that I did find it at one point at least. It probably took until week 10 before I could guarantee finding anything, and even then it could take 10+ minutes.

You also need to check really low, lower than most mamas think. I would kinda push down above my pubic bone and angle down, it that makes any sense.

I totally understand wanting to look for a hb this early, but be prepared to not find it...even if you have before. If your uterus is facing backwards, or if baby is in a tricky place, it is not unusual to not find it yet. Don't panic! (Ha!). If you DO find a strong hb, according to my doc, there's a 5% chance of miscarriage, which means 95% of babies are going to be fine, which are darn good odds.
Thanks! I played around with it this morning, but not worried yet. I know most are further along than what I am when they first find it. As for positioning, that is exactly what I've been doing, so I'm sure its just a little early.

Advertisement

leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #62
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Pregnancy After Loss (December)

One tip I read about dopplers was to find your own artery on the right, way down low, and then move away from there a tiny bit. That worked for me. I wasn't able to actually hear baby's HB at 8-9 weeks (I think my own was too loud), but I could see the reading on the digital display go up to the 150-160 range and knew it was baby.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #63
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviandgarettsmom View Post
I got my doppler at the beginning of the week. I'd love to hear about your experiences with it if you have any. How far along were you when you started using it & how far were you the first time you heard baby's hb? Just curious.
I was 8w1d this time. I put the doppler on myself intending to find my own pulse, just to make sure the thing still worked after being in storage for a while and loaned out for a while. After a new battery, it worked fine, and I easily found my pulse (from my femoral artery? I dunno). I wasn't intending to "officially" look for the baby, but then all of a sudden it was RIGHT THERE!!! I was so stinkin' excited.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #64
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I agree about finding the heartbeat super low... I check every few days just to reassure myself, and even a couple days ago at 10 1/2 weeks I had to check as low as the top of my pubic line to even find it... and even now at this stage it's taking me 10-15 minutes of searching to finally find baby... it's really, really hard to find... you have to be super patient. Finding that swooshing artery and then slowly moving to the side of that is usually the best luck I have with finding it also!
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #65
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Andrea -- your ticker is GONE! Oh my! Does that mean you are cool with baby coming any time now??? Soooo excited for you!!!!
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #66
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One time for a split second I thought I heard something super fast as I moved it away from my right femoral artery, but it happened so fast & I couldn't get it again that I thought I was just hearing things. But I'm okay with not hearing it yet. I'm just now 8 wks so I'm cool!

Last edited by leviandgarettsmom; 12-08-2012 at 03:09 PM.
leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #67
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviandgarettsmom View Post
AFM:Baby had grown & was on track @ 7w3d & hr was up to 145 from 125. I bawled. But I've still had very little to no symptoms the rest of this week & felt really good...too good for my nerves, but it is what it is. I tell myself randomly throughout the day "I'm fine & my baby is fine." It helps a little. I still think about something being wrong, but I don't feel anxiety over it, kwim? I keep telling myself God is teaching me a lesson in faith by letting me feel this good.
If it helps at all, I had no morning sickness at all with Zech or Isaac, and very very little with Levi - not every day, and only in the evenings when it did hit me. Maybe you're just having a pregnancy with little m/s - that's a good thing!

I've never had a doppler myself, but have heard lots of mamas say they find it somewhere around 9-10 weeks. Some are able to find it at 8-9 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine915 View Post
It probably took until week 10 before I could guarantee finding anything, and even then it could take 10+ minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlycurry View Post
even a couple days ago at 10 1/2 weeks I had to check as low as the top of my pubic line to even find it... and even now at this stage it's taking me 10-15 minutes of searching to finally find baby.
This is why Drs/MWs don't use the doppler before 12 weeks - it just takes too long and is really hard to find, and if they don't find it it would cause possible undue stress/worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I was so stinkin' excited.
Where'd your siggy go?!

Quote:
Andrea -- your ticker is GONE! Oh my! Does that mean you are cool with baby coming any time now??? Soooo excited for you!!!!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Where'd your siggy go?!
I want baby to stay in for at least another 2-ish weeks (because there's still some stuff for me to do to get ready), but I am taking a break from "official board business" and I couldn't put that note in my siggy and still keep the rest of it and stay within the four-line limit, so I just took it all out (and saved it elsewhere). I'm having some serious mental issues, like social anxiety (which I've had pretty much my whole life), and possibly PTSD and possibly depression, so I'm trying to cut out little bits of stress until after this baby comes.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #69
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I want baby to stay in for at least another 2-ish weeks (because there's still some stuff for me to do to get ready), but I am taking a break from "official board business" and I couldn't put that note in my siggy and still keep the rest of it and stay within the four-line limit, so I just took it all out (and saved it elsewhere). I'm having some serious mental issues, like social anxiety (which I've had pretty much my whole life), and possibly PTSD and possibly depression, so I'm trying to cut out little bits of stress until after this baby comes.
I can only imagine the feelings that are coming to the surface for you.

I do miss that lovely ticker, though!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #70
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
I do miss that lovely ticker, though!
Well, I guess I could at least put THAT back.