Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ahhh! Birthday present overload!

We have a VERY small house, and pretty close family. Last year we did a book party for ds1's 1st birthday. Everyone brought books, it was great, especially since he was my first boy and we needed a good supply of boy books. His 2nd birthday was joined with his brothers 1st birthday, and I just requested clothing. Again, it worked well, but it was all close family. I could see that not working well with a more spread out group. My favorite thing ever is something we started with the grandparents a few years back. They always get "experience" gifts instead of toys. We've had zoo memberships, aquarium memberships, children's museum memberships, science museum memberships, play tickets, movie theater gift certificates, ect. They are the best gifts! I love that we can do all of these things for pretty much free. The kids love them too.

Advertisement

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I hate the overload too. Kate's bday is the 13th of Dec. I alwdays make the purge the first week of Dec. She is too old for me to just do it now (which sucks!) But we do thin it out.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Can you bring them in for a gift card?

Edit: I see you did.

Last edited by themamageek; 12-05-2012 at 11:54 PM.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 and dd have a 12/27 birthday; we've gone with gift-free birthdays for them (from everyone except dw and I) since his 3rd birthday. Everyone is welcome to give them gifts of time (a special overnight, or my sister, who is a yoga instructor, will do one-on-one yoga with them -- which they love). We get grumbling about it every year fromthe grandparents, but we hold firm. Ds1 is having his first friends party tomorrow for his 7th birthday, and we were explicit on the invite: your presence is the only present required (no gifts, please). We'll see if our wishes are respected.

We just tell people the truth, that the kids wouldrather have time together than an object.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze
DS1 and dd have a 12/27 birthday; we've gone with gift-free birthdays for them (from everyone except dw and I) since his 3rd birthday. Everyone is welcome to give them gifts of time (a special overnight, or my sister, who is a yoga instructor, will do one-on-one yoga with them -- which they love). We get grumbling about it every year fromthe grandparents, but we hold firm. Ds1 is having his first friends party tomorrow for his 7th birthday, and we were explicit on the invite: your presence is the only present required (no gifts, please). We'll see if our wishes are respected.

We just tell people the truth, that the kids wouldrather have time together than an object.
This is what we plan on starting next year.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #26
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Toys for tots or your local children's hospital, lol. I keep a box that gifts my girls get go in throughout the year just for donating to things like that. Seems weird I know, but knowing they're going to a good cause helps with the guilt
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #27
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DDs birthday is right after Christmas so I understand the fear of the avalanche lol! We donated some, consigned some, regifted some, and squirrelled a few away for a rainy day. This was a good idea bc there were a few very rainy weekends, sick times, etc during the summer and fall and being able to pull out a new toy was great!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

These are great suggestions! I don't want to sound rude or unappreciative when we receive gifts, but we simply don't have room for everything. We keep a few extra toys so we can rotate, but everything else we exchange for something we can use or donate. After DD's November birthday I almost had a panic attack until we got our dining room clear of all the gifts.

I'm not sure what to do for Christmas. I'm thinking since DD is still young we can play with the toys for a few months and then bring them to Goodwill. Grandma got her a little people princess huge castle thing, so I'm thinking we will play with it for a month and donate. Sooner if I have panic attacks over the thing... Grandma has gone to cousins birthdays for years and is always reminding me that she bought gifts for them so I need to have a party so aunts and uncles can come. I'm thinking we won't next year, too stressful.

Trying out swagbucks.
little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote