Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teaching reading to an uninterested child

I'd back off but keep going to the library, keep reading to her, model reading novels yourself, and lots of trips to nice book stores letting her pick new books to buy.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like she having difficulty from the emphasis on sight words. Maybe find a good phonics based program that goes slow and is multi-sensory. Reading bear is a good resource too. It models blending and they can just sit and watch so there is no pressure. All of my kids like watching reading bear.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Claire O Meara
Registered Users

Hey. It could just be a case of the mediums that you are using. Not all children learn and retain information in the same way. Try an use different methods of approaching the lesson, you can use audio, images, video, quizzes, games. Mix it up and see which methods stick.
Claire O Meara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

I had forgotten about this post. Sorry about that. I have been taking it slow, I made some word/reading activities she can do by herself, and She is enjoying them. I need to get back into more reading aloud, and I think I'm going to start getting a few audio books too. I really think she may have one sort of learning disability, or maybe we just need to be more structured, I am working on that.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons is all about sounding things out. It starts super basic and then works from there. Even if you didn't do the whole thing, or use it as your main curriculum, it might be useful in giving her a good foundation on how to sound things out.

I would also take a break, if that doesn't work, and come back to it in a couple of months.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've had fun with Happy Phonics. It has lots of games using letter sounds, sight words, blending, decoding, etc. It's almost like not learning at all because it's all just fun activities and games.
SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I come on here to get tutoring ideas for my boys. All of my kids go to ps. What got my son into reading was the accelerated reading program they started in 1st. I have no idea if it costs to do it. Its online, we look up books all the time. He reads a book then takes a test on it. he gets a dog tag at school at certain intervals. These dog tags seriously motivate him for some reason. All of our motivators before didn't work at all but a dog tag with his name and points on it does the trick.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRMSS View Post
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons is all about sounding things out. It starts super basic and then works from there. Even if you didn't do the whole thing, or use it as your main curriculum, it might be useful in giving her a good foundation on how to sound things out.

I would also take a break, if that doesn't work, and come back to it in a couple of months.
I tried teach your child to read, she said the beginning was too easy,then we wen a little further and she shut down. It is like she has a mental block on it.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I come on here to get tutoring ideas for my boys. All of my kids go to ps. What got my son into reading was the accelerated reading program they started in 1st. I have no idea if it costs to do it. Its online, we look up books all the time. He reads a book then takes a test on it. he gets a dog tag at school at certain intervals. These dog tags seriously motivate him for some reason. All of our motivators before didn't work at all but a dog tag with his name and points on it does the trick.
I think we are going tod the book it program a Pizza Hut. DH works at Pizza Hut and they love going, but we can't always afford it. We use Pom poms as rewards for chores and ugh, they pick a goal together, right now they are saving up their Pom poms for the SkylandersGiants game. Maybe I can do something similar jus for Lexi for reading.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulMariposa View Post
I tried teach your child to read, she said the beginning was too easy,then we wen a little further and she shut down. It is like she has a mental block on it.
I think you should go back through the replies you've gotten and read them once again. I too would encourage you to wait-- basically stop pushing anything whatsoever for at least the whole of the summer. Perhaps even until January. Give the concepts time to congeal in her mind. Several times now I've found that by holding off and giving extra space and time, the subjects come together in their minds and they much more easily and confidently soar when the time is right. This is one of the real advantages of homeschooling, that you can give time and space without the child feeling that they are a dunce, behind everyone, and without giving up their natural curiosity and zeal for learning.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.

Last edited by MakingHome; 05-25-2013 at 01:04 PM.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote