|Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|12-09-2012, 12:44 PM||#1|
Curriculum help for DS9!
I am having issues with my middle son. He is nearly 10 and in fourth grade. He's super smart and school just comes easily to him. He needs only hear something once or twice to "get it." He's THAT kid.
The other two have to work hard at school, have to be told repeatedly about things, etc for school. It's an effort for them every day. The oldest even has some LDs playing against him.
Here's the issue: DS9 is the one whining about school. He wants me to do everything for him it seems. He wants me to read it all to him, explain it all to him, etc. But I can't always do that. Sometimes he NEEDS to be the one reading and NEEDS to be the one trying to do the work given to him. I can explain what an adverb is to him, but he has to be the one to actually find them on the worksheet, for example.
So, I guess I'm looking for curriculum advice. Should I change something? Keep things as they are? What?
This is what we're doing:
1. Math: Math-U-See Delta (he likes this one)
2. History: Story of the World 2 (he is good with this if I read it to him, but not on his own and he hates doing any sort of summary narration for it. We don't use the AG at all)
3. Science: Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space (again, good with this)
4. Language Arts: Here is our trouble area! We were doing aaaspell.com list for 5th grade along with spellingcity.com; KISS grammar book 1; and reading various books. He was whining about it A LOT. We just switched to Learning Language Arts Through Literature (purple) which he is still whiney about.
* He also does Spanish at co-op and does cursive practice for handwriting.
Another thing to add, we have Tapestry of Grace year 2 here but I am just not feeling it. DS9 seemed to do well with it when we were actively using it but...
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/