Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Donating is easier

I am sitting here looking at a bunch of stuff I just took pics of to list...I am seriously thinking about donating the majority of it. It sucks though bc I really, really need the money right now but I just don't feel like dealing with it!

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I sell things that I can sell in big lots and actually make some money...everything else gets donated! We have a non profit thrift store here in town that is run by mostly volunteers. The money they make goes to feed our community, especially this time of yr. They sell everything for super cheap too. So I can find a cute shirt for a kid for a quarter or a nice toy for $.75. I donate to them...I feel it goes to a good cause. I have a few boxes I need to take to them..I just need to remember to load it in the car!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've donated 99% of the stuff we've purged from our house this year. I sell very very little, and the rest goes to friends & family. Oh, and our couch went curbside for free and was picked up within an hour!

I like the instant gratification of bagging things up and hauling them out to the car so I don't have to look at them, or second guess and possibly convince myself to keep something.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I halfway donated halfway sold all my purge last night. I had 3 industrial sized garbage bags full of stuff..mostly toys. And then a box with champagne flutes and pilsner glasses and a shoe rack. I threw up a quick ad on CL saying $25 for all the toys and take whatever else I had ready to go. I had someone here within an hour, all the stuff gone and $25 in my pocket.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I tried garage sales this summer...NEVER again!!!

Now I sell the decent stuff on eBay, donate the rest.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

I love donating! I also love getting some money from selling, but I rarely do that. It's a lot of work, and by the time I have things purged, I just want them out of my house! I like to think of it as my way of giving back. We don't have a lot, and don't donate money anywhere, but we can pass on items (in good condition) that we no longer need or want to someone who will appreciate them.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just tonight decided to donate 3 trash bags full of old costumes I was hanging on to in case someone else wanted them- so silly! Donating is awesome!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
I sell things that I can sell in big lots and actually make some money...everything else gets donated! We have a non profit thrift store here in town that is run by mostly volunteers. The money they make goes to feed our community, especially this time of yr. They sell everything for super cheap too. So I can find a cute shirt for a kid for a quarter or a nice toy for $.75. I donate to them...I feel it goes to a good cause. I have a few boxes I need to take to them..I just need to remember to load it in the car!
We have this - we live in a town of less than 5000. All money earned goes to our local hospital. It is runby elderly volunteers. I can buy books for 10c and everything is MUCH cheaper than value village/goodwill.

Thanks for this post, I need to finish my sell/donate piles & I think most will be donate.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
I donate most of mine too. I just don't have the time that it takes to try and sell everything! It's so much easier to trow it in a box and drop it off. Yeah, I probably lose $$ that way but I gain a lot of sanity!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote