Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Nursing Number Two

My second baby was much easier than the first. I think 60% if it was just that he seemed to pretty much know what he was doing as soon as he popped out and he was bigger. I think 40% was me knowing better what to do and relaxing more the second time around.

SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

My second was easier than my first also. She took to nursing right away. My first one had latch issues and would fuss a lot.
Mama of 3. 2 girls ('06,'10) 1 boy via med-free VBAC! ('14) Homeschoolin', cloth diaperin', BF'in fam
ElizasMommy606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Users

So much easier with the second!
Zanocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Registered Users

the 2nd was definitely easier for me. mostly because she's just an easier baby. ds was the fussiest, most unhappy baby, and he hated to sleep. he spent the first 2 months of his life on my boob. i am not exaggerating. i was a wreck. i also had the worst case of mastitis my dr had ever seen with him. it all got better around 3 months and i nursed him for a year until i was forced to wean due to my own medical issues, otherwise i would have kept going.

with the 2nd, she slept! glorious! and she was much more easy going. but also, i was a lot more laid back and a lot less worried about how long she'd been nursing for and how much she was getting and all of that. i trusted my body to do it's thing. also, i'm particularly prone to mastitis and i had it repeatedly with both kids in the early weeks. with ds though, i had no idea what was happening, so it got really bad because i didn't present with all of the usual symptoms. with dd, i knew immediately what was going on and was able to head it off without needing to go on antibiotics. i also started pumping a lot earlier, and thanks to that and i think just less stress with her in general, i've been able to keep her on all breastmilk even though i went back to work at 6 weeks. i was never able to do that with ds. we were about 1/2 and 1/2 bm and formula while i was at work by this point, i just couldn't pump enough. ds did just fine on the formula, so it would have been fine. but i love that i haven't had to use it this time

my biggest issue with nursing #2? keeping #1 from getting jealous and climbing on my lap and yelling "no baby! you no eat! no!" and trying to pull her off of me

Last edited by Liadan23; 12-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Registered Users

All three of mine, luckily, nursing went very well. Not sure if it matters or not, but all three were short, unmedicated, vaginal births, with no birth injuries or physical issues (such as tongue tie) to inhibit nursing. The first thing they did after being born was come up to the breast and began feeding right away.

My first was a dawdler from the start and even now at 5 she eats so slow. My second would finish in under 10 minutes even from the start, but again she eats very fast now too. My son is kind of in the middle. This is the only significant difference between the three.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Registered Users
My first one was hard. It took us about a month to really figure things out. He nursed constantly and would only sleep near me.
My second was super easy, but would nurse so fast and vigorously I thought he was going to suck the life out of me, lol.
I think some of it is just who they are, my first is a doddler, it takes him a long time to do anything. My second is super fast at everything.
Also my first I had pitocin and an epidural and a slow birth. The second was born really fast, but naturally.

We'll see what baby #3 is like here soon.
Jana, wife to Preston; Mother to Mason (5/23/08) and Hunter (7/22/10) WOHM (aerospace engineer). breastfeeding, cloth diapering and new to knitting and dyeing, I also like to sew.
Mamma527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
No Longer Here
My Mood:

yes def. Then number 3 had issues and number 4 was easy
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
My Mood:

yes easier. I knew what to expect and knew what a good latch looked and felt like. but my first was easy too, once we got past a few day learning curve.
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

DD1 latched on perfectly and we had an amazing nursing relationship until she self weaned at 38 months.
DD2 we've struggled. Her latch was incredibly shallow so I've struggled with supply issues and had to pump to increase supply. She is 13 months and just now seeming to nurse efficiently. If she was my first I probably would have quit by now

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."-Janis Joplin
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
c&w's mama
Registered Users

yep, I too, think it depends on the baby... I've been lucky with 2 good nursers- but they are completely different I didn't find one more difficult than the other-- but was more relaxed for #2 because I didn't have it in my mind that we might have a problem. Kind of an "ignorance is bliss" thing.
a happy mama with
thanks DH
Will almost always trade for yarn (vanilla. peppermint.)
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote