Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

RF convertible for 2002 Subaru outback

Like everyone else in Vermont, I drive a Subaru. I have a 2002 outback sedan. SO bought a recaro proride and it seems so super comfy for ds but when we put it in the car, there is almost no way to maneuver ds into the seat when it's installed. The seat itself fits without issue, but I can't get ds in without knocking his head on the door frame in the passenger side or having to almost drop him in from too far away in the middle. So sad it's a super nice seat.

Google is telling me this is a common issue due to the shape of the door and a panel of glass on the car in this year of the model.

What WILL fit? SO is a body shop owner and works on smashed up cars all day so he's picky about side impact protection. We are looking at a britax boulevard but was wondering if anyone had suggestions for something else to consider.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

RF and a 5pt harness provide also of side impact protection. The britax Blvd also has high sides. I think its still better than the proride. I'd also.look at a Radian rxt. They're very slow and easy to get the child in and out. I love that my 3 yr old can climb in and out on his own.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RF convertible for 2002 Subaru outback

Yeah, the Proride is a nice seat, but has no legroom at all and is just huge. The Boulevard is better in that regard, but still big. Since there are no side impact standards, your best bet is to rearface as long as possible. Rearfacing provides the best side impact protection. I would consider the following seats:
Britax Marathon or Boulevard
Radian(any model)
Graco My Size or My Rideafety 1st Complete Air
Peg Perego Viaggio
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! There are a couple we hadn't considered.

So, it makes sense to me that higher sides on the seat would protect from intrusion in a side impact crash and while the ones with low sides may protect from injury from impact, what about intrusion? Is that why it would be better to put the car seat in the middle if possible?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, the middle is farthest point from any point of impact. We really have no idea if one seat does better than another for intrusion because it's not tested. If something with deep sides makes you more comfortable, then go for that. I will say that the slimmer sides on the Radian do give me some pause when thinking about side impacts, although there is the RXT with the side impact wings.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for the ideas. We went out and found the car seats mentioned in local stores. After trying them all in the car with ds in them I discovered I really disliked britax roundabout , ,wrath on, and boulevard. Ds looks cramped and he's not a big baby. And after grabbing the 26lb Diono R120 I can't believe how cheap and inconsequential the other seats feel. The low sides did not both me, we will put him in the middle while rf anyway since the passenger seat had to be too far forward.

Ordered an RXT and it arrives Wednesday.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
gaakoh
Registered Users

Some Subaru manuals say to install on the sides, not the middle. My manual says the safest place is the sides. No clue why. We still rearfaced in the middle when we just had one. I liked climbing into the car to put him in when it was raining. =) Hope you like your new seat!
gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaakoh View Post
Some Subaru manuals say to install on the sides, not the middle. My manual says the safest place is the sides. No clue why. We still rearfaced in the middle when we just had one. I liked climbing into the car to put him in when it was raining. =) Hope you like your new seat!

The Latch is only on the sides, so that might be what they are talking about.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 2001 subaru, and I'm looking for a convertible as well. Our evenflow bucket doesn't leave much for leg room since the handle has to be down so I'm ready for a convertible. This thread is full of good ideas!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaakoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The Latch is only on the sides, so that might be what they are talking about.
True. In our model the latch connectors are designed for the window seats not the middle. You can use the seat belt instead.