Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Users
Lots of questions... Need a new infant seat and vehicle

I'm really hoping you ladies can help me out here . We currently have an '07 dodge caliber and are looking at getting a larger vehicle. Our caliber doesn't seem to work very well with rear-facing carseats except in the middle, which has been fine with one kid, but we are expecting #2 in April. Even though we're planning to get a larger family vehicle (we make lots of long trips and also have a dog and sometimes a cat to take with us...) my husband will probably keep the caliber as a commuter for him, so I'd like to come up with something that would work in it if possible. So...

question #1

We have a 21mo old who currently rides in a MyRide 65 RF, I'd like to keep him RF as long as possible and avoid buying a new seat for him (but I realize that may not be an option). We will need to buy an infant seat for #2, which will have to fit outboard if we keep the MR 65. We also need the passenger seat to be usable, I am about 5'9 so it can't really be pushed forward too much and still be comfortable. Any recommendations for a good safe infant seat that might fit? Or a different scenario with a new convertible that would work?

Question #2

Any recommendations for a good family vehicle? I'm really leaning towards a Suburban since they can be found used for a decent price (We really probably need to stay under 15k) and often have captains in the middle which makes the third row more practical with carseats/possibly more kids down the road. We also like the space for pets/luggage/etc. and that an adult can sit comfortably in the third row if needed. I also love that they seem to be very durable and last a long time. Anyone have experience with suburbans personally? Any other suggestions?

KyAngel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Registered Users
Well, I wouldn't recommend my car (Toyota rav4, mostly because I feel that there's not enough space to carry luggage and stuff with carseats and kids), but I have a my ride 65 rear facing behind the passenger seat and a safety first onboard 35 air behind the drivers seat. Dh and I are both 5'10" and we can both sit comfortably in the drivers and passengers seats.

We plan on a minivan for our next vehicle, but I don't know if that's your thing, lol!
Mrs_B2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Lots of questions... Need a new infant seat and vehicle

You generally get more for your money with a minivan compared to an SUV. That is to say, that same $15k spent on a minivan would probably get you a vehicle with lower miles and one that gets better gas mileage. On the other side of things, if you spend the same $15k on a minivan with (for example) 50k miles vs an SUV with 50k miles, then the minivan will give you more passenger and cargo space than the comparable SUV.

So unless there is a compelling reason to get an SUV, a minivan is usually a more efficient way to spend money when purchasing a vehicle.

Regarding your current issue with your seat not fitting well in your vehicle... a couple things to try.
(1) make sure that the MyRide is installed at the most upright allowable angle, as indicated by the angle indicator on the side.

(2) make sure that the front vehicle seats are as UPRIGHT as possible. This allows you to move them back further, giving you more leg room, while still allowing the same amount of room behind the seats for the rear facing child seat.

Usually infant seats take up MORE front-back space than a convertible such as the MyRide. So if the MyRide takes up more front-back space than you can afford to give up, you will likely have trouble finding an infant seat that works. However, there are lots of seats on the market, and it wouldn't hurt to try some just to see. I know the Chicco Keyfit takes up less front-back space than some seats (and less side-side space as well), so that might be a good option, although it is $$$ for a seat that gets used for such a small period of time (per kid). If you go to a store like Babies R Us, they'll let you try seats in your car, and maybe you can find one that fits.

If you end up deciding to try a different convertible to save on front-back space, I'd recommend that you try a Britax - roundabout 55, marathon 70, boulevard 70, pavilion 70cs, advocate 70cs (listed from least to most expensive).

Good luck!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Registered Users
Re: Lots of questions... Need a new infant seat and vehicle

I have thought about a minivan, but I think a suburban would win out on cargo space and durability. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a better choice for bad weather (snow in particular) and has good towing capacity if we should need it as well. Plus, our dog (who weighs 50-60lbs) could ride in the back. I probably wouldn't put her in the back of a typical minivan though (definitely not with luggage)
KyAngel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
We've owned three Suburbans, two 99s and an 09. Personally, I love it. I really like and make use if the cargo space. Ours does not have middle row captain's chairs, but I still like it. I don't know if one option is more available than the other. i wanted captain's chairs, but really liked all the other options that came with it.
If you like three rows with maximum cargo space, also look at the Yukon XL. GMC used to just call them the same thing but changed about 12 or so years ago.
I'm Incredible.
Mom to a girl - 6, a boy - 4, and Baby - 2
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote