Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's good to hear so many are taking a break this December. I'm hoping to break till the new year.. we need to get some organizing done!

I am tutoring DD a little more heavily in math. She was struggling to understand exponents and we got them down in about 20 min last night. So that was good.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: HSing Check-In December 8-22

We are stll working away but then again we are only on week three of all of this. I feel like things are starting to come together. We add spelling this week for my oldest and that has gone well. I am looking for an online grade book. Anyone know of a good one and possibly free?
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
croark
Registered Users
seller

My oldest DD finished her math workbook today. We started MUS back in the summer. I didn't want her to miss anything as MUS is a unique program. So we started with the first book, Alpha. That was during the summer. We just finished the second one, Beta, today. So we will start third book, Gamma, in January. If I can get her to the 4 th book I'll feel we are pretty much caught up.
But for now we take the rest of the year off!! Hallelujah :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
My oldest DD finished her math workbook today. We started MUS back in the summer. I didn't want her to miss anything as MUS is a unique program. So we started with the first book, Alpha. That was during the summer. We just finished the second one, Beta, today. So we will start third book, Gamma, in January. If I can get her to the 4 th book I'll feel we are pretty much caught up.
But for now we take the rest of the year off!! Hallelujah :-)
yay for breaks!
We are almost finished with our first books of Singapore for K and third. I used Saxon last year for third for my son, but he didn't learn from it so we switched to Singapore. It is much better. I have had a fever all week, so this week, school has been card games in bed, independent reading and tons of Netflix science and history movies. But they are still learning! I will take a break until after the new year after sometime next week. We are so exhausted.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I plan to go until the week of Christmas mainly because dh is working until then and will be out of town. We skipped school yesterday so that I could go over to a friends house to study for my Spanish final at the College. I am so glad I did, I did great on the test thanks to her.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keegan is NOT dyslexic!! His prescription for his glasses was wrong, he can't visualize things in his head, and a couple other issues, but the Dr. made it sound like that all of those issues would be pretty easy to address and we should see TONS of improvements in the next few months!

And it looks like I'll be taking off more of December than we thought...well...not take off totally, but definatly not what I was planning. We have some new things to work with Keegan on for the next 6 weeks. Then he'll go back for another appointment to check progress and start a new reading program. So we'll pretty much be sitting our regular curriculum aside for right now.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Good to know more info and to have a plan for working through it. Glad to hear you got some answers. I don't visualize things in my head, either. I don't even see my dreams. My dad says I'm weird. lol

I have to admit I have been very lazy in regards to schoolwork this week. Kids have done it, but basically on heir own until they come to me with questions, and I havent been checking their work. I think tomorrow I may check everything and just have them do any corrections they have. Not sure what my issue has been the last couple of weeks, but I have just not felt like doing much. I think I need a jini vacation from everything. DH is hoping to give me one for Christmas, but he has to find out his work schedule first. Doesn't help we know he's deploying in the next few months. I think part of my lack of motivation is due to knowing in a few months I am doing it all.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

We have had a good week. My oldest DS has had a breakthrough. He has realized he needs to do his schoolwork so he can be prepared for the future and he is no longer fighting me at school time. This helps all the other kids have better attitudes too, so we have been flying through things every day. Yesterday DH was off and he took the 3 oldest kids to the Butler Art Institute. They were hosting a meet and greet/autograph session with some of the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball players. The kids had a great time and were really into looking around the art galleries too. We did yesterday's school work today and will try to keep doing more work next week too.

DH called me from work on his break and alerted me to the shooting that was on the news. He said he's so thankful that we are homeschooling and that our kids are safe at home every day. I am so sad for all f the parents and families of the victims. The kids could tell something was wrong and we stopped our lessons to pray for everyone. It's so sad and scary that we have to deal with things like this more and more often it seems.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Hello all!

Do you all have some Christmas fun planned for school? Learning any old traditions?

I think next week I want to integrate different culture's Christmas traditions into our week and just learn more about them.

We got done reviewing last week and started back up MFW's K this week. It's gone well as we've been home everyday this week! Usually we have a few playdates, but all got cancelled due to this flu bug going around. Along with school, we've been doing our Advent Calendar activities. Some days, it's read a book with a coordinating treat and other days it's a craft or baking for neighbors and have a Polar Express Night is the most anticipated (put kids in pjs, hot cocoa in sippies w/a cookie, give them a "ticket", and load them up in the van at night to drive around and look at lights). They are loving it and will be so bummed after Christmas is over! I think I'll put little notes on their big calendar every so often with a surprise wrote on it. I need to soak up being the popular mom while I can!

Corrie- It is absolutely heartbreaking. DH called to tell me not to watch the news and even when he just told me what happened, I started bawling. Can. Not. Imagine. So random and pure evil. Children and women used to be such a sacred, vulnerable, do-not-touch to a culture (as in "protect the women and children!")... when did young people stop valuing life? Sigh. We would not homeschool though, just to keep them safe as one can never predict this world or it's random acts of violence. It does make me hug on my brood a little more and remember to keep covering them in prayer day and night. And now my prayer is for a peace that passes understanding to be given to those families right now. As I will not be watching the news for awhile now, does anyone know if there is a fund to send money to help pay for funerals?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My big HS moment this week was taking my older two to see the Hobbit! It was really good. The neat part is I jokingly told them if the read the book I would take them! And my 4th Nd 6th graders read the Hobbit on their own. I did not think they would do it. But they did. The movie was a little intense for their age.. I really didn't think they would read it. Mom lesson learned. but they had a good time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote