Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friends mom EBF TRIPLETS!!
She nursed 2 at the same time while the 3rd. Baby got a bottle of pumped milk at the same time. Then she just rotated the babies.
Example
Baby A left boob
Baby B right boob
Baby C bottle of pumped milk

Next feeding
Baby C left boob
Baby A right boob
Baby B bottle of pumped milk

Next feeding
baby B left boob
Baby C right boob
Baby A bottle of pumped milk.

She would pump both sides in between every 2nd or 3rd feeding to have a freezer stash.

She said she always rotated the babies on different boobs because feeding on different sides activates different parts of their brains and vision. Also makes it so their heads didn't get flat on one side.

Also our cousin EBF her twins until 15 months.

You can do it!! Congrats on your 2 new babies!!

Advertisement

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: Who's breastfed twins? Come in and talk with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves View Post
In 27 years, it's the single hardest thing I've ever done. However, it CAN be done. Determine now that it's something you want to do, but free yourself by preparing for potential compromises. Some of the lactamaniacs in my life gave me a bit of passive-aggressive grief when I started supplementing with formula and often CHOSE to pump instead of struggling to nurse, but at the end of the day... they can stuff it. I'm nursing twins, if only partially. I do what works, and I'm busting my chops. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I think ANY mother of who nurses multiples for ANY length of time deserves a trophy.

You can do it!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who's breastfed twins? Come in and talk with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves View Post
I have 6 month old twins who are partially breastfed. They had problems at birth, and spent 3 weeks in the NICU, and had major feeding issues (one still has choking problems, even with preemie flow nipples).
I EP'd for 3 months before they could both latch. We began supplementing with formula at 6 weeks, and it was very stressful, as I felt like a failure. However, 6 months later I have one son who is almost exclusively BFing, and the other is on about 70% Alimentum formula due to unresolved food sensitivities in my diet. That, and the kid won't latch if he's even the slightest bit upset. And he bites. Like, every time. Ugh. lol.

I tried tandem nursing... oh, did I try. So many times. It just doesn't work out for us, sadly. Nursing them separately, although time consuming, is actually very nice. Sometimes it's the only 1-on-1 attention they get all day from me. For the first 4 months, my entire existence was feeding my babies. Even now, it consumes most of my days.

In 27 years, it's the single hardest thing I've ever done. However, it CAN be done. Determine now that it's something you want to do, but free yourself by preparing for potential compromises. Some of the lactamaniacs in my life gave me a bit of passive-aggressive grief when I started supplementing with formula and often CHOSE to pump instead of struggling to nurse, but at the end of the day... they can stuff it. I'm nursing twins, if only partially. I do what works, and I'm busting my chops. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I think ANY mother of who nurses multiples for ANY length of time deserves a trophy.

You can do it!!!
Agreed!! and, in my 34 years, it's the hardest thing I have ever done as well, even the second time was really hard. I am sorry anyone made you feel badly. I supplemented my first set a little in the very early weeks and often chose to pump instead of nurse because of latch issues and such. You do what you have to in order to survive and feed your babies. No one should make you feel guilty for taking good care of your babies in the best way for all of you.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Talked with another friend today who breastfed her twins successfully until 4 months then had to start supplementing. She would nurse one & formula feed the other then switch babies so every other feeding they got breastmilk

Just mentioning this because it is also an option
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote