Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby in 5th percentile at 2months

Like tohers said there could be lots of factors. Are you and your DH on the smaller side? For there to be percentages someone has to be at the bottom and someone has to be at the top. I know it is hard not to worry. If she id growing at a constant rate then I would try to relax and feed on demand. Maybe wake for a feed in the middle of the night. When you say "sleeping through the night" how long is she going. My 2 month old will go from 9:30 or 10:30 till 4:30 right now most nights. She totally makes up for the no night feeding during the morning and eats every 2 hours. She is still getting the same number of feedings so I don't worry about it.

DH and I make big babies/kids. Most of our family memebers are bigger boned and tall. I will never ever be anthing smaller than a size 10 without some serious health issues. My boys and DD seems to be following the same pattern are in the 75% to 90% for height/weight (though weight is usually lower)

My really good friend is tiny (like a size 2) her DH is small built also as is both their familys. Their kids are all on the smaller/bottom of the scale. We both have 5 year olds and my 5 year old is a good 10lb heavier and a head taller. Both are compeltely healthy and eat great. Both were breastfed.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So far she is meeting milestones and seems content, except this morning when she refused a bottle from me. I was not expecting her to be awake yet and had already pumped. She fussed and refused until she was able to nurse, but she takes a bottle from anyone else just fine. She sleeps from 10 or 11 pm until 8 or 9 usually. I have wondered about her being cold, her lil hands and feet are often cold even when covered and it's warm outside. We live in Florida and let the house get to 68 at night before the heat comes on. She sleeps in a sleeper with a fleece blanket kind of swaddled around her chest and lower body because she doesn't like her arms tucked in. Last night I added socks also. Other DD was a big baby and is always the tallest kid in class, but dh and I are short. I'm mostly bothered that she has gone from the 25th percentile to 5th in one month. I have been producing like a champ this time, but with other DD I had supply issues and started supplementing. DD then got reflux and really bad ear infections until she was over a year old. I'm so happy to be doing better this time and really don't want to repeat the past
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
oldmomma
Registered Users

[QUOTE=tibeca;15988771] My doctor has never once questioned my children's growth because they continue to follow their curve and meet their milestones.
[QUOTE]

My kids are peanuts. I was always worried with the first one. Now I am more relaxed.

There is also a separate growth chart for breastfeed babies as opposed to formula feed babies. You can google it.

Last edited by oldmomma; 11-30-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
oldmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My LO started out at 25th at birth and then went to 5th for most of her first year. She was 50/50 bm/ff. I worked and didn't produce enough when I pumped to be ebf.

I was really worried most of the time in the early months. I weighed her obsessively. My ped (40 yrs of exp) told me not to worry as long as she was happy and meeting other milestones. At 2.5 yo, my girl fits in 18 mo clothes, is in 8th percentile, and runs around like a crazed monkey healthy as can be.

So my response is two fold. 1) supplementing w formula may not magically increase weight. If your LO is destined to be in the 5th percentile, that's where they'll be. 2) don't be too worried if the docs not worried.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

It honestly sounds like she doing great! I wouldnt worry so much about the %. Watch output and milestones! Some babies are just little! Mine start out little and then jump up once they start solids.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
cbreeding
Registered Users

The first indication of whether they are getting enough or not is diaper output. What goes in, must come out If a child is not gaining appropriately, there may be another cause such as reflux.

Second, the chart is a tool to help in the overall evaluation of the baby. The growth development for a breastfed vs formula fed baby is often not the same, hence why WHO has two charts. Not all pediatrician use both charts though. I think it's a red flag if a doctor is only concerned based on where they fall in the charts (not that you doctor is doing this) rather than looking at the overall picture - genetics, baby's color, milestones, diaper output, baby's own growth pattern.

If you are concerned, supplementing with formula does not have to be the first route you try. There are a lot of good suggestions as mentioned by other posters.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: updated - baby in 5th percentile at 2months

updated
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

My son hasn't even been on the weight charts since he was 1 month old. It's always worried me, but our pediatrician asked what my hubby and I were like as babies (answer: also very petite) and she looks at what our baby is doing developmentally. He has always been very strong and alert, which our pediatrician says is what matters. I've had him weighed every month until now (10 months old) and he has always gained regularly at about the same rate. I used to ask about supplementing as well, and our pediatrician would say,

"Does your baby ever nurse and want more than you have?" (answer: no, and if I try to keep nursing when I know he isn't hungry he would spit it up at that age.)
"So if you supplemented your baby would end up getting less breast milk, right? What is more nutritious, breast milk or formula?... Breast milk of course, so if we are worried about nutrition why would we want to give something less nutritious?"

With my pediatrician's advice I've never supplemented and we are all happy. Don't let the numbers get you down. Look at your baby, not everyone else's. I know that's easier said than done, I've had some cries looking at my skinny baby next to fifty-percenters who could steam roll him. But then my slender dude took his first steps at 7 months while my friends were getting sore arms carrying their lil' chunkers

Last edited by Palooka; 12-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
LleytonandJaydensmommy
DO NOT FSOT with! Unresolved transaction issues 2/2013!

My Mood:

My first ds was 7.9 at birth and wasn't even on the chart for the first year of his life. But he ate formula and baby food like he was supposed to. He was just a shrimp. Now he is 3 and is in the 25%. So don't over worry too much. Might just have a quick metabolism. Now this ds was 9.4 at birth and is at 12lbs at 11 weeks and wears 6-9 month clothes already. So i have kids on both ends of the spectrum. Lol. Good luck mama