Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Natural remedies for ADD?

I have no personal experience in this but at my pediatrician I have seen some advertisements for this
http://www.vaxa.com/special-attend-v...FeuPPAodxT0AOg

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
from my understanding, if a stimulant med speeds you up then you likely are misdiagnosed. A person can have attention problems and not have ADHD. There is no ADD anymore. It's all ADHD. There are three types; primarily inattentive, primarily hyperactive, and combined. Of course I'm not a doctor so I could be wrong but that is my understanding. Regardless, OP should get a diagnosis, or rule out anything else.
There is ADD and ADHD. Some of my family is ADD and my DH and ds1 is ADHD. Here explains the differences http://www.adhdchildparenting.com/ad...difference.php

OP we've had great succuess with both DH and ds1 with eating an all organic diet. Just eating real foods and not artificial really helps. It is seen more with DH, but that is probably because he's much older than ds1, who is 5 and there will still be hyperactivity with a 5 year old But it really helps both focus and I can see a big change when we do schooling with ds1 when he's been at home all week and when we do schooling and he had a day or two at grandparents house and didn't eat organic.

If you can't eat organic because of the cost, buying as much whole foods or foods without artificial dyes and such as possible can help. It does take a few weeks to notice a difference while the body is adjusting, so it's not a quick fix.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofhjm

That isn't true. I am add and I can't take stimulant medication bc it does speed me up. Everyone reacts differently to medications.
Me too! Concerta made my ADHD sooooo much worse.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
There is ADD and ADHD. Some of my family is ADD and my DH and ds1 is ADHD. Here explains the differences http://www.adhdchildparenting.com/ad...difference.php
I am splitting hairs here, but the actual "ADD" diagnosis is ADHD-I or ADHD-PI since ADD is simply a subcategory of ADHD. According to wiki:

Quote:
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is one of the three subtypes of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The term was formally changed in 1994 in the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV) to "ADHD predominantly inattentive" (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I), though the term attention deficit disorder is still widely used.

Quote:
There are three subtypes of the disorder which consist of it being predominantly inattentive (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I), predominately hyperactive-impulsive (ADHD-HI or ADHD-H), or the two combined (ADHD-C). Oftentimes people refer to ADHD-PI as "Attention deficit disorder" (ADD), however, the term was revised in the 1994 version of the DSM.
I really wish that they would replace the "H" with an "I" for impulsivity as the "H" isn't so much about being hyper as it is about lack of impulse control. Not sure what the DSMV-V is going to do though.

OP, I urge you to look into getting your child properly diagnosed by a neuropsychologist. Once you have a diagnosis, the school and teacher can put supports in place that can help your daughter focus better at school. Small things like moving her to a less distracting spot in the classroom, on task reminders, and breaking large tasks into more doable chunks could be ways to help.

ETA: Not all stimulants are created equal and not all stimulants will help an ADHD person. Adderall may work for one person with ADHD but be terrible for another. That same person who received no benefit from Adderall could very well do great with Concerta. Both are stimulant medications, but they act differently for different people. Unless someone has tried all the stimulant medications out there and none work, it's not accurate to make a blanket statement.

Last edited by mcpforever; 12-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What sort of behaviors are you having problems with besides inattention? I find visuals to be very helpful to get kids to focus. My oldest used to have visuals in nearly every class, he had a visual on his backpack to help him remember, visual for when he gets home to remember how to take care of his stuff, visual for how to clean the bathroom, and a visual for his nightly responsibilities. He doesn't have many visuals at school anymore but we still have me at home.

Neuropsych testing is awesome but if she isn't having a lot of symptoms your insurance probably won't pay and it is $$$$
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok, take this with a grain of salt but you're either adhd or your not. There is no "little bit" of adhd or "not quite" adhd. Not saying it to pick on you but if you really feel your dd has adhd innatentive type you should get her evaluated before you decide to do any type of treatment, wether it is homeopathic or allopathic. If a child does not have adhd no amount of caffeine or stimulant will help. That's why you should really get a diagnosis. With an adhd person there is a frontal lobe malfunction. So when you give a stimulant, the medication stimulates the malfunctioning part of the brain, which in turn slows down the hypeactivity, increases attention span and alertness, halts impulses, etc. In a non-adhd person a stimulant (meds/caffeine, etc) will do nothing but speed up the functioning frontal lobe which is of course not a great idea. Just giving you my experiences. I have adhd, my daughter has adhd, and I also have an associates degree in psych. Good luck!

ETA: I do agree with the pp. you can't go wrong with cutting out artificial colors and dyes. Everyone can benefit from eating healthier.
It is true that there is brain malfunction but there are levels of severity with ADHD. Hr daughter could have some malfunction but not enough for a diagnosis. Like someone could have some excess dopamine in their brain but not have enough symptoms for schizophrenia. Or have some decrease in serotonin but not enough symptoms for a diagnosis of one of the types of depression. Many mental illness are a spectrum, much like autism is looked at.

Stimulants definitely don't help all people with ADHD.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
It is true that there is brain malfunction but there are levels of severity with ADHD. Hr daughter could have some malfunction but not enough for a diagnosis. Like someone could have some excess dopamine in their brain but not have enough symptoms for schizophrenia. Or have some decrease in serotonin but not enough symptoms for a diagnosis of one of the types of depression. Many mental illness are a spectrum, much like autism is looked at.

Stimulants definitely don't help all people with ADHD.
oh definately. I just see a lot of people who throw the term adhd around like it's not a real diagnosis. Not meaning you OP just I hear a lot of people joke and say, "oh my son is a little ADHD" and it bugs me if they haven't gotten a diagnosis. Remember the OCD thread? Kind of like that. My oldest has ADHD inattentive type but we don't medicate. My middle dd has ADHD combined type and she has to be medicated or our family would just fall apart. .It's very difficult.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
oh definately. I just see a lot of people who throw the term adhd around like it's not a real diagnosis. Not meaning you OP just I hear a lot of people joke and say, "oh my son is a little ADHD" and it bugs me if they haven't gotten a diagnosis. Remember the OCD thread? Kind of like that. My oldest has ADHD inattentive type but we don't medicate. My middle dd has ADHD combined type and she has to be medicated or our family would just fall apart. .It's very difficult.
I agree completely. It's one thing to say, "My child is having trouble focusing at school. Anyone have any tips on helping him/her?" It's another to say, "I think my child may have ADHD/ADD. How can I treat it?"

The thing about attention issues is that it can be something other than ADHD or in addition to it. A student who is struggling with dysgraphia or discalculia needs that to be identified so that they can be supported properly. All of the ADHD tricks and treatments in the world won't help if there is a different issue not being addressed.