Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Problems with the school bus... and I blame the taxpayers for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
If it was just two blocks why didn't the nanny just walk her to school?
That's what I'm wondering too. Why are buses even attempting to pick kids up who live so close? I had never heard of a school bus system that was willing to pick up children who live within 1/2mile of a school (usually the radius extends a mile). And how can it possibly be cost effective for a non rural school district to own their own buses & employ drivers. I would guess there are other irresponsible spending decisions going on throughout this particular school district also.

Personally, my children will never ride in a school bus. Without overcrowding they appear rediculiously unsafe to me.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

The last place we were at had zero sidewalks so all elem schoolers were bussed.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
The last place we were at had zero sidewalks so all elem schoolers were bussed.
Every child in our district in Indianapolis is bussed. We do not want kids crossing streets alone.

Perhaps considered calling the local police department and make a report of unsafe driving conditions.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post

Personally, my children will never ride in a school bus. Without overcrowding they appear rediculiously unsafe to me.
Statistically speaking, kids are generally going to be safer on the school bus than in the parent's own vehicle driving to school. I am not aware of the statistics regarding fights or other aspects of riding the bus, but in terms of accidents, driving in cars in more dangerous than riding a school bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Every child in our district in Indianapolis is bussed. We do not want kids crossing streets alone.
All of the surrounding districts that I know of also offer buses to all students as well. In fact, I have picked up my daughter from her high school and watched a bus pull out of the school lot, turn right, stop and let a high school student off at the house NEXT DOOR to the high school. It was crazy because the student could have been at home faster had she just walked across the lot instead of getting on the bus, waiting for everyone else to load and then waiting for the buses to all leave too.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The school my son will be going to next year doesn't allow walkers. We're in a suburban area and the school is on a fairly busy street, but the biggest issue is that there just isn't safe places to cross the street. Even the kids who live across the street from the school's driveway take the bus.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
You said it was your opinion that it was the fault of the tax payers. It seems based on what else you wrote, that you are basing that opinion on a couple of newspaper articles. I suggest that if you really want to change things, you need facts, not just opinions, on exactly what you are trying to change. So I suggest going to the school board meetings and seeing about getting ahold of the actual budget. You may discover that the problem isn't income, but spending. It could be that some folks in the system do have overinflated salaries, it could be that they are overspending on equipment and not realizing it.

If it is a problem of people not wanting to pay higher taxes, maybe try running for the school board? Having a position on the board might make it easier to campaign for higher taxes.
That opinion is not just based on a couple of newspaper articles. As an employee of the school district, I live this; I see it in every paycheck I get. The salaries of public school employees are public information and, as such, the pay scales are posted publicly on the school district's web site.

I do plan to contact our school board member about this situation. I am not eligible to run for the school board because I'm an employee of the school district.

I have gotten two phone calls back from the "lead driver" so far. In the first call, she told me that she reviewed video from the bus yesterday afternoon and that nothing I described had occurred. That's because she watched the video from the afternoon bus run and the problems happened during the morning run. She then said she would review the morning video and call me again. I missed her second call, so now we're playing phone tag.

Last edited by CASMama711; 12-12-2012 at 01:58 PM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

IMO schools need to work within the budgets they are given. Even if it means dropping non essential services. I don't think it is essential to provide bussing to students who live within 1/2 mile of the school.

My son goes to a private school. For a few months, they had no substitute bus drivers. We were informed that if a bus driver called in, one bus route would be dropped and those on that route would be called in the morning or after noon. While an inconvenience to those on that particular route, it seems to be a safer option than cramming too many kids on a bus.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
IMO schools need to work within the budgets they are given. Even if it means dropping non essential services. I don't think it is essential to provide bussing to students who live within 1/2 mile of the school.

My son goes to a private school. For a few months, they had no substitute bus drivers. We were informed that if a bus driver called in, one bus route would be dropped and those on that route would be called in the morning or after noon. While an inconvenience to those on that particular route, it seems to be a safer option than cramming too many kids on a bus.
Safer, yes, but that wouldn't work in a public school. Some public school parents don't have cars, so without safe, reliable school busses the kids won't get to school.