Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOHMs in medical field

Job title? RN
Degrees earned? BSN
Typical weekly schedule? 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts
Average wage? $35-40
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) OR, I am in surgery the whole 12 hours

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Job title? Research Scientist
Degrees earned? BS Biochemistry
Typical weekly schedule? 40 -60 hrs/week
Average wage? 35-75K/year depends on experience
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) Study design, write reports (interpret results), run labs, data analysis.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
taylor's mom
Registered Users

Job title? Emergency medical technician-Intermediate
Degrees earned? national registry certification as well as state licensing
Typical weekly schedule? 2 24 hour shifts per week
Average wage? 35-40K a year
What is a typical shift like (what do you do?) I work for a fire department based ambulance, so we have station chores, check in our trucks and equipment, public training as needed, right now since i'm back in school i use down time to study. an average day ca have 2-3 calls, each of which take about 3 hours from time we get toned out to the time we get back in quarters and restocked. and paperwork lol, lots of paperwork.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
sunlightmlp
Registered Users

Job title? Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Degrees earned? BS in Clinical Laboratory Sciences/Medical Technology plus 6-12 month internship. The coursework is pretty scientifically intensive.
Typical weekly schedule? I work part time - 5 days every 2 week pay period, 8 hour shifts, work every third weekend and 2 holidays a year
Average wage? honestly depends on the area. Full time starting salary anywhere from 35K (typically small hospitals) to 50+K
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) I do the actual testing of biological specimens - mainly blood and some urine and other body fluids. I do hematology, chemistry, and blood bank work. I pretty much never interact with the public - the work is very "behind the scenes." As in most any medical job, the work can be stressful at times - particularly in the blood bank, where sometimes someone's life depends on the speed and accuracy of your work (gunshot, car accident victims, L&D patient experiencing a bad complications etc.). It's a nice job if you don't enjoy interacting with the public :-)
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
mamarudy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Job title? Licensed Nursing Home Administrator (though currently not working)
Degrees earned? Bachelors (mine is in Gerontology, but to become an LNHA, at least in my state-OH, you just need a bachelors degree, major doesn't matter). requirements for licensure vary by state, but generally you need a bachelors, need to complete a 6 week training course, and complete a 9 month internship before you can sit for your licensure exam. you have to test with the state you are in and take the federal exam. Licensure renewal fees are high ($300/yr) and you have to complete at least 20hrs continuing education each year.
Typical weekly schedule? 8+hr days, sometimes even 12 or more, generally monday through friday, but on-call 24/7 and many companies want you availabe to do weekend rotation as well
Average wage? anywhere from 60k to 150k+, depending on the size of the building, experience, and the company quite honestly
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) you have full responsibility over the operations of a nursing home. you manage all the staff and departments to ensure it runs smoothly, and most importantly, on/under budget. HR, staffing, business office, marketing, policy & procedure implementation, contract writing, staff education and inservicing, ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations. lots and lots and lots of meetings.

advantage: pay is great, no day is the same. great for type-A personalities that like to be challenged on a daily basis
disadvantage: high stress! full responsibility means when something goes wrong it's on you. very demanding. you have to be flexible in your schedule. if you just worked a 12 hour day and get woken up at 2am because the State walked in the door (or there was an elopement, fire, loss of power, etc) you have to go back to work. sometimes spending your nights helping to call staff to come in so that you can meet staffing requirements after a rash of weekend call-offs. there is a LOT of pressure in regards to financial performance

sorry if it seems like i'm putting more of a negative spin on it. to be honest, i am looking to switch fields. I'm returning to school in January and going back to get my BSN through an accelerated program.
i'd like to work in hospice.

Last edited by mamarudy; 11-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.
mamarudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
ParamedicMama
Registered Users
Formerly: Rachel**t
seller
seller

Job title? Paramedic ("Ninja Paramedic Mom" is what I prefer)

Degrees earned? First, you need to be a state certified EMT Basic. This can be a 2-week intensive class, or a 10-month-once-a-week class (8 college credit hours). Then, you need your state paramedic certification, plus small other certs (that take a few hours each), like ACLS/PALS/ITLS. Your paramedic certification program is usually a 36-credit hour program, generally affiliated with a college, and takes 1-2 years depending on how intensive your program is. You can often take another year of general education classes to get your Associate's degree if you want to. I do have a B.S. in psychology and therapeutic recreation, but it doesn't help my paramedic job any.

Typical weekly schedule? two 24-hour shifts. Depending on your agency, you may work 12 or 16 hour shifts instead, or if you have a slow agency, you could work 40 straight.

Average wage? It depends on your area; call your local ambulance and ask. On a good week, I make $14/hour. Yeah...$14/hour to assess people, give medications, intubate, put IV lines into their bones, try to bring them back to life, support families in crisis, and move around performing life saving measures while in a moving vehicle. Oh, and don't forget the being up all night part.

What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) Everything. You wear a uniform, carry drugs, and then respond to 911 calls, take transports from one hospital to the next, help people up who fell, do search and rescue, etc.. Think of it like being a Dr. in an ER, but you aren't a Dr. and you aren't in the ER.

Call your local ambulance and schedule a ride along for a day!

Making an almost FT WAHM income--ASK ME if you want help doing the same!!!!
Life More Simply Blog
ideas, reviews, and giveaways to help you live life more simply in the real world!
October's Heart : my journey out of domestic violence
ParamedicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Job Title: Director of Risk Management

Degrees Earned: bachelor of business admin in risk management, then later a law degree - but I already had 9 years of experience when I started law school and I went part time at night. I only did it for personal reasons, it wasn't necessary for my job, though I'm hoping it makes me more competitive when I decide to go back to work (currently SAHM)

Typical Weekly Schedule: It was a ton of travel, probably 75% of the time. I could be in 4 different states in 3 days. Very little down time, got calls at night and weekends all the time. Even got a call at 11pm on my wedding night (phone was turned off!). I traveled so much I felt like I should just forward my mail to Delta!

Average Wage: Probably starts around $60k if you are the risk manager for a single hospital. I was overseeing risk management for 4 hospitals and over a dozen nursing homes, so my salary was low 6 figures plus bonus & travel differential.

Typical Shift Like? Take calls about adverse events, troubleshoot solutions to regulatory or accreditation problems, investigate negative patient outcomes, meet with patients/families about concerns, monitor pending litigation, etc.

I LOVED what I did, it killed me to quit when DD was born, but she was so sick with her heart defect and I just couldn't do all that travel with her so tiny & ill. When I go back, I'll probably look for a RM position at the hospital level so there's little/no travel, instead of going back to a upper management position.