Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

Anyone have this done, and did it do anything? My Ob said he would do it starting next week (i will be 37weeks) and just wondering what your experience was with it.

I know it can hurt, and I know it doenst always do anything...but Im having a VBAC, and basically if I dont go into labor on my own I will have to have another c-section because you cant induce with a VBAC. So i figure it cant hurt anything since I will be full term and im also having a pretty big baby (they are thinking its already 7lbs)

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

Well I had it done with my lil boy once but didn't know till AFTER she did it , I didn't feel a thing when she did it or after really and no it didn't do anything . I think it's like anything else and only works when your body is already ready to go anyway . I personally won't be getting it done this time unless it is past 40 weeks cause I feel anything before 40 weeks is not full term (JMO) . I am also going for a VBAC so ideally need to go into labor on my own ( which I did the first time ) , but even if I for some reason have not gone into labor on my own past 42 weeks I will try induction before getting another c-section , but I will definitely try to get things going myself naturally .

P.S. I wouldn't put any stock in the size of the baby , they are usually wrong on that .

Last edited by itsymama; 08-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.
itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

I had that at 37 weeks and then for 4 more times. My LO shoed up at 40 weeks 5 days
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I am in the exact same position.....but my midwives have not mentioned doing that yet to me and I will be 37 1/2 weeks when I see them next....I want a vbac also....I'm going to inquire about that.

All I know is it does hurt (from what I've heard) and it works for some people and not for others!

Good luck!
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I had it done several times with Baby #3 and #4. Never worked. Did not hurt to get done, i only spotted, had cramps and no baby! I never had it doen at 37 weeks though....mine were done at 39 and 40.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My membranes were stripped at 38 weeks with dd, and nothing happened. Then at 39 weeks that afternoon, my water broke, however, I wasn't having any contractions so they told me I could wait and see if my contractions started on their own or they could give me pitosin. So I chose the pitosin. As long as everything is looking good at 37 weeks he is planning on stripping them again.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother4JC View Post
My membranes were stripped at 38 weeks with dd, and nothing happened. Then at 39 weeks that afternoon, my water broke, however, I wasn't having any contractions so they told me I could wait and see if my contractions started on their own or they could give me pitosin. So I chose the pitosin. As long as everything is looking good at 37 weeks he is planning on stripping them again.
wow - that is the exact same thing that happened to me - lol !! membranes stripped one monday, DD was born the following monday!

i had bleeding/spotting and mucusy stuff coming out for 3 days after my membranes were stripped .. i don't think it really 'worked' since it took a week, but somethin gworked!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
averysmom
Registered Users

How do they stripe the membranes? I've never had it done so just curious.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes had it done several times with several babies and it didn't do a darn thing with any of them. It didn't hurt but was uncomfortable. No spotting, cramping or anything. Most of mine have been 7-10 days overdue and only came out because my labor was induced.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
How do they stripe the membranes? I've never had it done so just curious.
Well I think they just swipe their fingers around in there and yes it hurts!
at least it did for me. I havent decided if I will have him do it this time.
Its pointless unless you are ready to go but I am getting anxious