Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
UTI at 6 weeks?

I had my first prenatal appt today, which consisted of a pap test, some questions, and a urine screen. Apparently my urine tested positive for leukocytes, which is indicative of a UTI. I have to get my urine cultured tomorrow to confirm that there is an infection and identify what it is for treatment. I guess it's quite common during pregnancy and no big deal, but now I am wondering about the pros and cons of taking antibiotics during pregnancy.

Does anyone have any stories to share about UTIs and/or taking antibiotics during pregnancy?

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: UTI at 6 weeks?

I had a UTI that turned into a kidney infection when I was pregnant with DS1 - I can't remember how many weeks, but probably around the same time. I was freshly pregnant. I usually do the natural route on things, but with this I'd honestly do antibiotics (and LOTS of probiotics, too) UTIs in pregnancy can have no side effects (which is why mine turned into a kidney infection.) My kidney infection was one the worst, most painful things I've endured - which is why I don't mess around when I know I'm getting a UTI. I'm glad yours was caught early! If you do try and do a more natural alternative I would have your caregiver retest you ASAP to make sure it's gone/not getting worse. HTH
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I would have had no idea if he hadn't tested. The only symptom I have is frequent urination, which I thought was just a sign of pregnancy.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You may not have an infection. Some leukocytes can be normal, which is why they culture first. You probably had a low number. In any case I had my first ever UTI during this pregnancy due to dehydration. My normal leuks are 15 and I was up to 70 two days straight with clean catches. I did a ten day course of macrobid and it cleared up. Three doctors and a pharmacist confirmed macrobid is safe.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

leucocytes are always found in urine, especially if it wasn't a clean catch. If it comes out that you don't have a UTI, then that's great!

If you do have a UTI, then yes, take the antibiotics because it could spread to your kidneys, and UTI's can also cause contractions. I had one in my last pregnancy and it was pretty bad and caused lots of contractions. It was a week before they figured out it was a UTI, and not just "early labor".
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I second likely not a clean catch vs silent UTI. Every time I've had a UTI I've known before the doctor had to tell me - intense pain on urination, blood in urine, etc.

Just a few weeks ago, I had a urine sample comeback with leukocytes. They asked for another sample and said it was common that pregnant women had a lot a mucus/other stuff that could fall into the cup and cause a false result. The second sample given two hours later (and made sure to be clean catch) was clear.

As for abx, discuss your concerns w dr/mw. A true UTI isn't going away by itself and can develop into a serious infection.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had a clean sample issue - they wanted a 'dirty' then a clean and something came back. Never treated and then I did another one a month later just in case and it was fine.

I would be very wary of antibiotics in the first trimester. They can interfere with tons of developmental things. Doesn't mean they will every time, but it's risky. Just depends on the exact timing of the antibiotic and what's developing at the time.