Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #71
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: to circ or not to circ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I have noticed that you have not answered my questions about the relative value or offensiveness of labia, breasts and foreskins. I am beginning to think that you label offensive anything that challenges your current view of circumcision.

As to my attitude, you may be right, but ad hominems do not reduce the logical value of an argument. It would be silly for you to make a decision for your child based on your dislike of me. If your son came to you as an adult and said that he was unhappy to be circumcised, do you think he will care if you say, "The people who told me not to circumcise were all obnoxious, so I had you circumcised?"
It has clearly done no good to answer your questions because how you respond is unchanged so I choose not to go back and forth.

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #72
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey - I'm turning off the computer now. I'll check again in the morning to see if you have responded.

ETA: Oh, darn, cross-posted. Well, you have had enough anyway, so it's perfect timing!

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #73
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit View Post
Having a home birth...and it's really hard to find a doctor in northern michigan who will perform a circ. My first son had been by a mohel who came to our house when we lived elsewhere. He used a mogel clamp. It was fast and easy without any problems. The thing is that most of the doctors who actually WILL perform a circ within a 300 mile radius from me only use the plastibell method. Yeah..it's like a torture device. No thanks. So if we circ we'll have to travel. Husband and son are already, so would it be weird to choose not to if we have a boy this time? Have you had experience with the plastibell method? Good or bad?
Back to the original post, the Mogen clamp is not without its own risks:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep...ision-20110926
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc...he-mogen-clamp

You have not indicated why you want it done, but as others have indicated, there is nothing wrong with not circumcising your second son. Since you are going out of your way to have an intervention-free home birth, why not minimize unnecessary interventions for your son after birth?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #74
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

To answer the question as to WHY I drew comparisons that you feel were offensive.

Because they are very valid comparisons. Labial tissue is almost identical to prepuce tissue. It has similar function and carries similar problems. Because female circumcision is considered wrong in your culture, that comparison offends you. It doesn't offend me because I am a deeply logical person. I am also from Africa where both male AND female circumsicion is carried out at adulthood.

I hope you make the decision that is right for you and your family. Whichever way you choose. I commend you for questioning and researching your established norm.

I will bow out now because it is not my intention to offend. I just enjoy putting forward my views and this thread was quite civil so I chose to do it here.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #75
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH is, and hates the fact he had no say what happened to HIS body. I come from a family where no men have ever been circed, and yes, it was and is, the type of thing we talk about. So, our DS is not, and this DS will not be either. Add to that our Nephew had it done at 2 days of age, and landed in the NICU with a Staph infection. DH has a saying, "Not my body, not my choice."
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote