Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
PSA: Always check your phone plan

Dh's cell needs change drastically by season. During the summer when he's working, he uses a tonne of minutes, but during the off season he barely uses his phone at all, so I change his plan to a high end unlimited plan when he's working and down to a bare bones plan when he's not.

What I didn't remember to check was my plan. We recently got rid of our home phone, since we simply weren't using it. I went to check to see how my minutes were doing, and found out they had changed the available plans, only to find out I could now upgrade my plan to include the minutes I wanted and my rate would go down, since the new plans built in unlimited messaging, which I had been paying for as an add on.

So the upshot is, always keep an eye on the plans available from your carrier. Most will let you change plans every so often (mine allows for one plan change per phone per month), and keep track of what you're using. Are you on a plan that fits your needs? Is there a cheaper plan that would fit them better? I just saved us about $30/month by checking mine out, since I dropped DH's plan yet again, and put us both on new plans that included our unlimited messaging.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Awesome. Can you do this with a contract?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: PSA: Always check your phone plan

I've called my landline company a few times to get better rates as well. Their was the once when we had no long distance than added in state only long distance, for 1c more we upgraded to unlimited nationwide long distance and have callerID again. The latest one I called MIL and told her to upgrade her service otherwise she was paying more and getting less than I was.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: PSA: Always check your phone plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyluwho View Post
Awesome. Can you do this with a contract?
You'd have to chat with your carrier. Mine doesn't really do contracts, but when I sold phones, they wanted your business for the term of your contract, not necessarily your business on THAT plan. Now you may be locked into a specific range of plans depending on your type of phone, but it never hurts to try - check what you have, check what's available, see if one of the new plans available fits your needs better, and then call them up and see if you can change it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote