Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your hubby as thrify as you?

Nope, not even close. DH can't live without paper towels. And his family must have filled an entire landfill themselves with styrophome (sp) plates!!! It kills me.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes and no. My DH wears clothes out completely before getting new but will not buy used clothes like I do. Then again, he really wears them out. I tend to buy things used so I can have trendier pieces. Re:household and food, I am definitely the thrifty one. He would use paper towels for everything, never wash Ziploca (he still thinks I'm insane for this too) and would buy sposies for DS. We both like nice things (housewares and such). We don't skimp if something breaks and we need new so I'd say we're equal on that. We both believe in spending money up front and buying quality items versus cheap junk that we'll replace in a few months. I am definitely wore about little treats for myself (a couple new Simplex diapers this week and another bag last week).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is your hubby as thrify as you?

No my DH is not "thrifty". He mostly laughs at me for some things I do. (But he grew up with his mom having a maid and going on Months worth of a vacations a year.) He's not "wasteful" but he's not thrifty. IF he wants something, he doesn't shop around. At the grocery store, he will buy Hersey's syrup instead of generic type of things. I NEVER put a brand name on any thing if I send him to the store and usually write ...."Buy the cheapest generic" at the top of the list. I don't like him to grocery shop because he doesn't look at prices. He will go to the same gas station every time. Regardless if it is cheaper across the street. (We don't have a credit card or loyalty card that gives us a discount. It's just "habit")
I've never known him to look up a discount code before he checks out online or to even shop around. I will always tell him to wait ... and look up a code if there is one. He doesn't even look at shipping costs or the total when he pays. Once he was charged $30 for a $3 item due to a computer error at a store. His total was like $40 and he didn't notice! I saw the receipt and had to call the store, bring in the receipt, and get the refund. The whole thing was really annoying because I would have noticed if the total was off by that much!
He is always surprised when I stop a cashier and say "That rang up wrong. It's suppose to be XYZ price." He doesn't understand why I will go through the hassle for a "a few cents".
However, He will get rather annoyed if I were to go $1 over budget. This is why we now do separate accounts for spending $. He likes to have everything perfect on paper. Things like groceries that fluctuate are now in my personal spending. Otherwise if I was $76 dollars under in October, I still could not be $1 over in November. (Because he moves the "extra" to savings and only keeps a certain amount over our budget in our joint checking. ) I prefer flexibility.
And since he buys stuff with his mad $, I don't have to see how much he overspends buy not shopping around anymore.
We DON'T fight about $ because we have a crazy system that works.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote