Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's a rinsing agent and acts as a fabric softener so it will work best during your rinse cycle or your final rinse wash There is no need to add baking soda when you add vinegar as detergents are basic when it comes to ph level so vinegar helps bring the ph back to normal. If you add baking soda when you add vinegar, they will zero each other our leaving your water and diapers still at basic ph levels.

Advertisement

momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to use vinegar in wash routine?

I use vinegar in the presoak with Bac Out to eliminate the ammonia, and it works well.

I used to use it in the next-to-the-last rinse also, since I heard it helps rinse out the detergent. However, the diapers felt sticky when I took them out, as if they had residue. Since I use Charlie's, which is a clean-rinsing detergent, I decided to skip the vinegar at the end, and I have no more sticky-feeling diapers.
AHASRADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

For ammonia: Put up to a cup in the prewash.

To make diapers softer by removing detergent residue: Put in the rinse. The rinse cycle of the wash or in any subsequent rinses works the same.

I've read to not use it in hard water because it can increase ammonia issues.

Some diaper manufacturers say not to use it on PUL but some PUL manufacturers/sellers (Wazoodle) say it's fine.

I haven't had any trouble adding it to the fabric softener cup for softening, or to the prewash for cleaning.

BUT ... in a half vinegar, half water spray for cleaning, I'm noticing the flats that got sent to be cleaning rags are getting holes. So it's possible at high concentrations, its acidic nature is rough on fabric. However the tiny bit in the wash is a different story.

Like everything ... moderation.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkleinman

I just put it in the fabric softener compartment when I start the actual wash cycle.
This
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use it in the prewash.

Specifically, I use it to neutralize the urine toward a more neutral pH (I have read that detergents generally work better in a neutral pH environment)... urine is a base, vinegar is an acid.

We have hard water and the vinegar has worked great.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote