Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
eskade
Registered Users

Grovia stinkies & rashes?

I've been battling rashes on my DD for months now, and my most recent experimenting has led me to believe that the culprit may be my Grovia organic cotton inserts (not getting clean enough?). Some were bought new, some used. Other than that I use prefolds or stay-dry inserts. Neither of these is causing rashes. I'm about to give the grovia inserts another try and see if rash comes back. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure how to get them cleaner? I don't want to do any that would void the Grovia warranty...

Advertisement

eskade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
haddiehold1109
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grovia stinkies & rashes?

Grovia has the best and most realistic warranty in the industry in my opinion! They recommend using a strong detergent like tide all the time. And you do not void the warranty by using bleach if need be. Try a 1/4 cup bleach in a warm wash with a detergent like tide and see if that helps! I only use grovia aio and using tide and a little bleach with every wash brings everything out clean and smell free and no rashes! I do use a stay dry liner because though many argue it is a myth that baby needs to stay dry, diaper rash does result from prolonged wetness.
haddiehold1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I know it's fashionable these days for everyone to recommend Tide. I found Tide + Grovia to be a horrible combo. Instead we solved the problem with Country Save, which is like Tide in that it is a true detergent with builders and water softeners, but it lacks a lot of the Tide ingredients which are themselves prone to build-up. When I got Grovia stuff from Tide users on FSOT, they smelled great at first, but a wash with Country Save revealed a lot of hidden funk stuck down deep in the diaper, probably due to Tide's many ingredients that coat and stick to the fabric.

Adding a tablespoon of washing soda to any detergent can help. As can making sure you're using adequate detergent in the first place. The old recommendation to use 1/4 the amount of detergent as the bottle or box says to, has been mostly rejected.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

What's the rashes look like? Try creams? Yeast? Wash routine?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddiehold1109 View Post
Grovia has the best and most realistic warranty in the industry in my opinion! They recommend using a strong detergent like tide all the time. And you do not void the warranty by using bleach if need be. Try a 1/4 cup bleach in a warm wash with a detergent like tide and see if that helps! I only use grovia aio and using tide and a little bleach with every wash brings everything out clean and smell free and no rashes! I do use a stay dry liner because though many argue it is a myth that baby needs to stay dry, diaper rash does result from prolonged wetness.
This. Grovia is awesome. They recommend bleaching every so often. Trust me, occasional bleaching will NOT hurt your diapers. If they do, it's probably because they're low quality.
Otherwise, I'd use more detergent to prevent the stinkies from coming back.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
eskade
Registered Users

Trenna, I do use Country Save. How much do you use for a medium sized load? I have a top loader and usually wash 20-25 diapers and some covers at a time, so set my water level to medium and do a full scoop of Country Save. Cold rinse, extra long warm wash, regular warm wash (no soap). I can't do a warm rinse on my machine, so I do a warm wash at the end.
eskade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskade View Post
Trenna, I do use Country Save. How much do you use for a medium sized load? I have a top loader and usually wash 20-25 diapers and some covers at a time, so set my water level to medium and do a full scoop of Country Save. Cold rinse, extra long warm wash, regular warm wash (no soap). I can't do a warm rinse on my machine, so I do a warm wash at the end.
A "full" load of diapers is when the machine is 1/2 to 2/3 full. So you should probably be doing an xlarge load, with a full scoop of country save.

I found Grovia soakers to be so thick that a cold wash/cold rinse with a scoop of detergent, then a hot wash/cold rinse with detergent worked great. No extra rinses, toploaders use enoigh water to rinse clean.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote