Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How is your library storytime structured?

We have drop in with a variety of age directed groups. They have reading to dogs once a month, that's pretty much the only one we go to anymore

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our library does drop-in storytime, there are quite a few sessions per week for various age groups, but from what I can tell they don't really enforce the age limits. They also have pre-registration required programs occasionally, I think that's because those involve crafts or other activities where they need to have enough supplies available for everyone.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

I haven't been to the library story time in about 6 yrs but we loved it when we went yrs ago. Ours was nice because we didn't have to sign up and it was flexible as far as ages. I had 2 little ones I wanted to bring w/ me. Our librarian did a terrific job keeping the kids focused while letting them have fun. We had a regular school group that came each week and a just a few other people. It wasn't over crowded.

I see the point others are making about it being a zoo during story time because there are too many kids and I wonder what the right solution is.

OP, I suggest looking outside the library for story time. Our art museum does story time. They don't call it that but that is what it is. There is also story time @ the book store. Nature centers do story times as well. Another idea is to ask other parents you meet @ the library if they would like to do their own informal story time.

My younger 2 DDs missed out on the story time experience since the older 2 weren't interested and I didn't want to drag all 4 there.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have both drop in and registration story time. The drop in is more of an actual story time (different age groups at different days) and the registration is for the 2 and under Mother Goose (fingerplays, rhymes, music, bounce on the knee songs, etc). We don't have a limit to if you miss any classes you get bumped off, but it does help to have that class registration because 20 kids in the room plus parents gets pretty crowded.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah ill have to keep looking around. We are in a touristy suburb of a large city, so the museums aren't art or science. I may have to travel to Harrisburg for that, but I wouldn't do it weekly for a storytime. I'm sure there are other libraries in other townships close by. Not sure about bookstores, good suggestion. I was just frustrated that I couldn't use that as an outlet. I understand the registration, you wouldn't want 50 kids at storytime each week. Just annoyed.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We just come when we want. No registration needed.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never heard of a library having registration for storytime! Ours is just drop-in (we've been to 3 different libraries) and we've just gone when we could.

I would be upset about the 1 child per adult ratio with my twins, but in my experience a lot of the other parents (not of multiples) had more than one child. So, I"m not sure how they get anyone with that rule.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
We do have to register for our age group. But we don't get kicked out of we don't come. The reason our library has story time registration is because space is limited. But there are multiple times per age group & they have an drop in family group too with no age limit.

Other libraries in the area do not have registration.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I will say that we had a 'Storytime' type thing where I used to work and we required preregistration because my craft required advance work.

But I didn't give people slots and I always made more so that we didn't have to turn anyone away.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't go to story hour at our local library. We go to story hour at a local religious bookstore and we LOVE IT! The woman who runs it reads a story with the children then they do a craft and play a game. My children have a blast and its open to all age ranges.