Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Insuring Traded Items

I want to insure the goods I'm sending as part of a trade, but my post office has emphasized that I have to be able to prove the value of the items by producing a receipt or other transaction record in the case that I do need to make a claim. In a trade situation, I wouldn't be able to produce any documentation, so I'm wondering if there is any point to buying insurance on traded goods. I might be able to make my own receipt, but I'm not sure it would be accepted, since I get the feeling that the USPS is tough on this to prevent postal insurance fraud.

Does anyone have any experiences with this or advice?

Advertisement

BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: Insuring Traded Items

You don't have to provide a receipt. Just some kind of proof of value of whatever is in the package. When I had to open an insurance claim for a damaged Blackberry phone, I just printed out a page on eBay showing how much the Blackberry phone was going for now. (I claimed $100, which was how much coverage I had paid for, and the USPS ended up paying $84).

Make sure that you create an item-by-item list of what's in there when you buy the insurance.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

what about trading paypal funds in the amount of the value of the trade...ie you send her $43 she sends you $43 ...then you poth "paid" for your items

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
what about trading paypal funds in the amount of the value of the trade...ie you send her $43 she sends you $43 ...then you poth "paid" for your items
Well, that's an idea, but it would involve paying Paypal fees we wouldn't normally have to pay, unless we risked sending the money as personal payments. I wouldn't want to do that.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
You don't have to provide a receipt. Just some kind of proof of value of whatever is in the package. When I had to open an insurance claim for a damaged Blackberry phone, I just printed out a page on eBay showing how much the Blackberry phone was going for now. (I claimed $100, which was how much coverage I had paid for, and the USPS ended up paying $84).
It's good to know they will accept other methods of proving the value. I just figured they would be strict based on my past experience. Something I bought on eBay was damaged and they were very difficult when processing my claim even though I had my eBay receipt. One woman told me there was no way my item was worth as much I claimed, even though I had the receipt to prove I paid that amount. It was a three month ordeal, but I did finally get reimbursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Make sure that you create an item-by-item list of what's in there when you buy the insurance.
Is there somewhere to type this list if you buy your postage online?