Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to shovel driveway with a tiny baby?

You can take babies out in cold weather. They are the easiest to keep warm when you can baby warm them. The body heat keeps them warm and you just bundle them up. If you don't up to shoveling while baby wearing the other suggestions are good ideas too.

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Registered Users
I always take and wear my babies out in cold weather and if we are shoveling I don't even wear a coat, we get sweaty with the workout! I have friends in extremely cold weather who take their babies out all the time.... People do it all over the world
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

i would put the baby in a safe place, like a crib, take the monitor and go out and shovel.

I have done it that way with all the kids for various reasons.
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
My Mood:

Originally Posted by sambelina View Post
I would just wear babe in a wrap or sling. With you being bundled and the body heat from you both, baby will be plenty warm. My husband is military and deploys a lot. I would never get anything done if I didn't wear my babies.
This. I always wore my babies while shoveling

My daughter was about 6 months in this photo.

Denelle, WAHM to Gwen (18) Ezekiel (8) Eleanor (my homebirth baby is now 5!)
MotherMoonPads Reusable Cloth Menstrual Pads, Restocking Daily, Quick Shipping!
Saving your body & the Earth, One cycle at a time
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Registered Users

Babies are perfectly safe left in the house in their crib or packnplay, as long as you don't leave the property. How do people mow their lawns, or sleep at night, or take showers, if they never leave their babies "unattended"? . I ask that without judgement, totally seriously...I have always been surprised how new moms panic about getting someone to hold their new baby so they can take a shower. Tiny babies cannot climb out of their cribs. I have left my babies in the crib (without blankets, but with a few toys to look at or chew on) for up to an hour while I scoop the driveway or mow the grass. And of course, even if we cosleep, they are "unattended" while I am asleep. It really is not an issue

Of course, if you want to take him outside in a carrier, that is fine, too. But don't feel like you have to if you don't want to.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-07-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I always shovel the drive and have always just left the kids in the house when they were babies. I would just periodically check on them.
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Registered Users

I've shoveled with DD in the ergo on my back and us both bundled up in my coat. I've also waited till she was asleep for the night and shoveled. Now that she's older, last time I let her play in the snow while I shoveled, although I'm thinking about using the ergo again to get it done faster.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Registered Users

Here's how I did it a few times in Iowa with a 5-8 month old ... if temps weren't dangerous (which they usually weren't after the kind of snow that requires shoveling).

Sleeping in his swing inside the front window, with a monitor on.

Extremely bundled, with fresh lotion on his face first, on the front porch in his swing, awake and admiring.

Drive him in the car till he falls asleep, leave car running in the driveway with heat on but window cracked, park him while shoveling.

Extremely bundled, under a blanket, parked in his stroller watching the world go by.

I was afraid to have him in a carrier in case I fell, which was probably unreasonably fearful (you fall on your butt, not your chest).
No 2x4 Butt! A non-pad "Pad" fold to put flats in covers and pockets:
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

Wait until Baby is asleep and then step outside to shovel. He will be OK for a few minutes. If you're nervous, step back inside every 15 minutes or so. But really, what can happen to an unattended baby, asleep in a crib? And how is it different from when you are in the shower?

For what it's worth, that's how I raked our whole yard full of leaves when I was about a week postpartum last fall. I did about 20 minutes per day for a full week. It was the first time I really felt human again.

It does get cold enough here in Minnesota that I feel uncomfortable bring my new son outside. I was OK with the idea until it got into the 20s, but that's pretty darn cold And now it's been below 0 quite a bit over the past week. Also, the risk of slipping on ice while carrying a baby makes me nervous.
mollym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

My husband was hospitalized for pneumonia when DS2 was less than a month old....and that weekend we got a HUGE snow storm. We don't have any family willing to help ME with anything so I had to shovel the walk or pay the fine from the city

I waited until both DS2 and DD (then 2 years 3 months or so) were asleep, put DS2 in the crib and left DS1 (then just turned 5) in charge and went out and did it as quickly as I could. It took me forever since I was 4 weeks pp and had to stop and rest but it worked. DS2 and DD both slept the whole time. If DD would have woken up my 5 year old knew how to put Dora on Netflix so that would have kept her entertained for a little bit and he knew to pop his head out and tell me if DS2 woke up and was screaming.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 01-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote