Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you do it....

I've been a WAHM (sahm before that) since Jack was 3 months. I've cared for a child 13 months older than him. FINALLY, he's going to daycare and it'll just be me and Jack and I'm so excited. Landon helped entertain Jack when he was little. But now, they fuss all the time. We've got Landon from 7am-6pm every day, so really, other than dinner and bedtime, he's ours. Jack seems him as an annoying brother these days. It'll be nice to have playdates with him now instead of having him all the time.

Being a SAHM isn't too hard for me. Jack is great about entertaining himself. I get little breaks throughout the day. I do take him to our church's mother's day out program once a week for 5 hours. I really enjoy my alone time too. But I'm so ready to have him back after that.

Just depends on you really. Some moms are better as working moms, others can really swing the sahm thing. But it's tough.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
lizzytra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel3167 View Post
How can you be a SAHM? I am so stressed out just by thinking of being a full time SAHM. I currently work 2 10hr days for my own sanity. I like my job and the people I work with but I don't really like my DD being in daycare. My sis runs the daycare and we are on the opposite ends of the parenting spectrum. She tries really hard to listen to my wishes but just doesn't do it to my standards (ie changed often enough, tv watching, excessive excercauser use.) Please help me! Thanks in advance.
Yes, being a SAHM is very difficult some days. Maybe not for everyone, but definitly for me! Some days my DH's car pulls into the driveway and its all i can do not to run out, throw the children in his arms, and take off in the car for the nearest international airport.... ... oh and I'm not kidding!

However, I love being a MOm and I really want to stay home w/them when all my pros and cons are weighed.

On my very difficult days I:
*put them both in the stroller and take a long walk (even if it is hot!)
*go over and talk to a neighbor or two (there are other SAHMs around our little developement)
*Put the housework aside and try to do a "fun" activity for them as it lessens the stress and tension for us all
*call up a friend or family member
*long onto DS
*blog
*and my newest activity (as of very recent) is to go for a drive! The kids fall asleep and I can take some deep breaths
*getting out you can go to library, play date, park, etc

I don't have this yet but a lot of Moms I know keep thier sanity by having a date night every week where both Mom and Dad can get out of the house and away from the kids and just relax.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Oh I'm on the verge of exploding. I've been a SAHM now for 14 weeks after having the same job for over 7 years. I have to get out even if it's just to run to the store for a few minutes in the evening. I don't have a car during the day to get out either. I just try to relax during the two hour "quiet time" that we have after lunch.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
Rocket
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel3167 View Post
Do you all have older kids? My DD is only 7 mo and I think I could probably be SAHM if she were older. I think Alexia would be happier with me though but I wonder how to do it? hmmmmm

I worked full time before DD was born and stopped when she's about 15 months and I was pregnant with DS. I planned to stay home after DS was born. Well, I couldn't! DD drove me crazy! I just felt horrible and bored all the time. I came back to work right after DS turned 2 months old. We got help with the kids (we hire an aupair and she's AWESOME!). I'm now working full time outside the home. I agree that it's really mcuh easier when they're older. Because now my DD is turning 3 and DS is almost 17 months. I can feel that it's easier to take care of them (though they have more activities). Thre are days that I want to stay home and be with them. But I think right now things are working out great for us. When I get home, they're with ME and DH. THe aupair will have her own time doing wahtever she wants and the kids know that. They somehow don't want her anymore. They're clingy to DH and me until they go to bed.
I know it's NOT for everyone so don't feel bad about it. Do whatever you feel right for BOTH you and your LO.
Good luck!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me being a WOHM was harder than being a SAHM. I returned to work shortly after the birth of my YDD due to financial necessity. It was not at all easy getting up at 5am to get ready for work after being up every 2 hours feeding a newborn. I always wondered what she was doing. My mom was able to babysit for me and I trust her completely but still, I worried that she wasn't able to care for my baby as well as I did. I am now a SAHM and as much as I love it there are days and moments that are really hard. I feel like I have lost a part myself. I am a mommy and it's actually hard to think of myself as anything else. My days feel so repetitive. Sometimes it feels like I am feeding, cleaning and changing diapers non stop. Honestly sometimes I feel envious of their dad. I think my job as a SAHM is alot harder than his! Having a support network really helps. A mommy group or going to story times at the library can make all the difference.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #16
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytra View Post
Yes, being a SAHM is very difficult some days. Maybe not for everyone, but definitly for me! Some days my DH's car pulls into the driveway and its all i can do not to run out, throw the children in his arms, and take off in the car for the nearest international airport.... ... oh and I'm not kidding!
I TOTALLY KNOW THIS FEELING!!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

I guess part of the hard part is getting out of the house for free activities...she loves to get out. And another is giving up at least the tiny bit of finacial independence I have.