Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Who to list as a reference?

Who should I list as references if I don't want anyone at my current job to know I am applying for a new job? I would have no problem with good references, but I want to stay on good terms with my current employer. Is it okay if all three references are from my former employer? I quit four years ago, but continued to fill in there until my daughter was born 2 years ago. I am still in touch with most of the staff, so it seems like those references wouldn't be too out of date. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Who to list as a reference?

At least one of your references should be from your current employer...if I were on a hiring committee, I wouldn't consider someone who couldn't/wouldn't produce a reference of any kind who had worked w/ him/her in the past two years.

That said, when I applied for my current job, I didn't list any references from the job I had at the time. I had been there for about 9 mos & had been at the job previous to that for 6 yrs. When I got the interview for this job, they specifically asked about it & asked if my then-employer was aware I was applying. I answered "No" & asked that they be discreet. I asked that they could call any of my listed references regardless, but that they certainly may contact my then-employer if I was a finalist for the position, but to please not adversely influence my relationship with my employer if I wasn't being seriously considered. They were receptive to that, & that's the approach I would take in any future situations like that.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for your input. I think I won't ask my manager, but I have someone in mind who only slightly outranks me. I know she will give me a glowing recommendation and also be discrete about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
MomMe3
Registered Users

I generally don't give out references in advance. In fact, I never do. I give references after I've interviewed if its a place I'd like to hire me or I give them to a recruiter prior to an interview. I often use recruiters for my line of work. (I should add not lising your references on your resume is also common in my line of work.)

ETA: I also list the people who have the most knowledge of my skillset. That may or may not be your current employer, but I always give someone who was superior to me.

Last edited by MomMe3; 12-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.
MomMe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never provided references on a resume (but have brought them to interviews), but this particular job asks for them to be listed on the application. The application also asks for starting and ending salaries for previous places of employment. I am hesitant to put my current salary because I am very well paid. The job I am applying for is in a slightly different field, although my current skill set is certainly relevant. I do not expect to make as much at this job if hired. In fact, I would be pleased to make half as much. I am just very interested in this area of practice and am wanting to go in a different direction in my career. I am willing to take a significant pay cut to do so. Is it okay to leave my current salary blank since it is not relevant to what I would expect if offered this new job?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

Employers understand why you aren't putting a reference from a current employer. In terms of salary, you can leave it blank, but know that at some point they are going to try to get you to name a figure. The golden rule in negotiation in that the one who names the figure first loses. So first say something vague like "My salary was comparable to the going rate for someone of my rank, education, and experience level". If further pressed say "My salary was in the mid 50k range", if further pressed say "My salary was between 50 and 55k". Do not include bonuses, stock, etc. unless they ask. Hope this helps
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineTea View Post
Employers understand why you aren't putting a reference from a current employer. In terms of salary, you can leave it blank, but know that at some point they are going to try to get you to name a figure. The golden rule in negotiation in that the one who names the figure first loses. So first say something vague like "My salary was comparable to the going rate for someone of my rank, education, and experience level". If further pressed say "My salary was in the mid 50k range", if further pressed say "My salary was between 50 and 55k". Do not include bonuses, stock, etc. unless they ask. Hope this helps
I went ahead and put my salary as the application specifically said not to leave any part blank. I listed only my base pay though I get extra for nights, weekends, holidays, etc so I actually make a good bit more than I listed. I dropped off my résumé last week and talked to someone in hr who said she would be in touch this week, so I hope to hear back soon. Thanks for the tips re: negotiating salary. My current job is union, so the union does all the negotiating. Talking salary would be a new experience.