Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure how to go foward

Well, I put up 5 pairs of Hanna Andersson size 70 pajamas in fsot. I stated in the listing that there were some stains but no holes and that I had used them for 8+ months. I put them up for $20 to do a good turn for someone and to move them along. It was a deal I myself would have really appreciated.

So I sent them and didn't hear anything for a few weeks. I'm at 49 fb and that number annoys me so I asked for feedback. Instead she told me that one had a broken zipper.

She didn't ask for anything, just asked/told me about the broken zipper. I'm reasonably sure it was operational since I used them until a month before the sale.

Anyway, I'm not inclined to give her any money. Even if it was 4 I'd still have sold it for $20. I'd take it all back, but I don't want to pay the shipping.

Should I be doing more than hoping she doesn't ask me for anything?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not sure how to go foward

I would simply respond with "I'm sorry to hear that. When did you discover it was broken? Can I see a picture?"

This way, if she claims the problem was there from the very start, the logical unspoken question is why did she wait weeks to tell you; and if she says that the problem was just discovered, then the logical conclusion is "maybe it broke after you used it a while?"

Either way, she might realize that any claim that you are responsible is unreasonable, and just drop it.

Try to strike a non-offensive tone that still indicates you aren't going to be easily taken.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
What a great idea. I wish I had thought of that since I already immediately replied,

"No, and we used them right up to a month before we sold them. I'm surprised as I can be."

I wonder if I should let it lay and ask her about the photo if it comes to that. I really wanted someone to love these and I'm frustrated about this.

Last edited by danielle; 12-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would bet if you offered a full refund for the purchase pricebut not return shipping upon receiving them back she will not take you up on it. It must be at least $11 to ship it back. The only issue I can see is if she were then to leave either neutral or negative feedback.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Take a look at the feedback she has left for other people to see if she's "litigious". If she hasn't left any negatives, she's not a chronic Negative Nelly and you're probably safe.

I wouldn't worry about it anymore until she replies. She may very well just drop the whole thing.

If she does seem to want you to do something about it, I'd go with the PP's suggestion. Tell her she'll get a full refund minus your original shipping and that she needs to ship back on her dime, but be sure to make your email sound very kind, and emphasize that you are making an exception to your normal policy because you care about your buyers being happy. Prevention of negative feedback can very much hinge on how good the communication is.

Sorry you are dealing with this!
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I *think* she wasn't happy with the transaction but didn't want to say anything since it was still a good deal. I bet she didn't leave FB because she didn't want to say anything mean. Perhaps her unusual response to your PM was her way of trying to say that she doesn't want anything from you BUT is also not planning on leaving FB. Maybe.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would personally ask for a picture, and if it is in fact broken I think I would do a partial (small) refund, even if I would have sold the 4 for $20 anyways - just to nice. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here - I don't think she is making it up if she didn't PM you first to ask for anything.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I'd give her a couple of bucks back. I'm not a fan of partial refunds but if a zipper was broken and not disclosed you should make it right. I once sold a soaker that had hole in the seam and didn't notice. It was new and I never used it so I didn't think to check it over. The buyer was able to sew it up and I gave her a couple dollars back to make up for it.

Anyway, I'm not inclined to give her any money. Even if it was 4 I'd still have sold it for $20. I'd take it all back, but I don't want to pay the shipping.

That offends me. It doesn't matter if you would have sold 4 for the same price. She bought 5 and has every right to expect them to be in the condition stated.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

So if I'm reading this correctly, she did not say anything about the zipper until you asked for feedback, correct? I'm guessing she was annoyed, but not enough to leave you negative or neutral, and not happy enough to leave you positive, so she just decided to leave no feedback. She hasn't asked for anything from you, has she? So I assume she realizes that she still got a good deal and she doesn't want to send them back, so she is just letting them drop. You went to her to ask for feedback, so she told you why she didn't leave any. Personally, I would let it drop unless she came to me asking for some sort of resolution.