Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:
I need to create a newborn to 6 month stash

Im a FTM and I REALLY want to do cloth diapering. I kind of feel overwhelmed at the whole concept right now. I had no idea there were so many options for cloth diapering. So far I have...

12 orange gmd prefolds
12 yellow gmd prefolds
4 xs covers
and 3 snappies

Please tell me what else is an absolute must.
I am a single mama that will have to use disposable diapers at daycare. Funds are far from unlimited.

Advertisement

SammiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If your looking for the most inexpensive route, Id say get another dozen NBs and Small GMDs from their seconds sale, and add 4 Thirsties Duo Size 1 Covers, 2 Dozen Wipes, 1 Diaper Pail Liner or Hanging Diaper Pail, 1 Wetbag and youre good to go!

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 12-21-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need to create a newborn to 6 month stash

that ^ would be an excellent stash if you can afford it, but if you want to go even cheaper, i would fill out your stash with:

24 small GMD flats
3 thirsties duo size 1 covers (these are awesome covers, but i don't think you ever really need 4 covers except when they're super newborn and pooping a million times a day, and you already have 4 covers for that stage, so you'll actually have 7)
24 cloth wipes (buy one or two old but still good condition flannel sheets and cut them into wipe size squares. hem around the edges with a zig-zag stitch or have a crafty friend do it. don't worry about rolling the edges, they're for cleaning poop, lol, not looking pretty!)
diaper pail liner and diaper pail (the best cloth diaper pail is a plain 5 gallon bucket - they have a locking lid and are big enough to hold 2-3 days worth of diapers)
2-3 wetbags

you have plenty of snappis...you really only need 1
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was already thinking five gallon bucket thank for making me think I'm not completely crazy.

Thanks for being so helpful!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Pinkpea
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so glad you asked this. I've been wondering about what to get too. So far we have:
12 orange newborn gmd prefolds
12 yellow small gmd prefolds
4 Thirsties Duo Sz 1 covers
2 Diaper Pail Liners (currently in a hamper since I read that good air circulation keeps the smells down)
1 Wetbag
and I've forgotten how many wipes. I made the wipes from my husband's old white t-shirts. Double layer and sergered around the edges. We'll see if they work. We're due in exactly a week. Hehe!
I'm totally tempted to buy more prefolds from the GMD seconds sale though. Anyone know how often they have seconds on sale?
Pinkpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's how I got my 2 dozen prefolds. Seconds. And the covers on here used. I only bought the snappies new.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well technically the prefolds are new too just not "perfect" but it goes on a baby's butt.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Pinkpea
Registered Users

My Mood:

Those GMD seconds are a really great deal aren't they? So tempting!
Pinkpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbeam View Post
that ^ would be an excellent stash if you can afford it, but if you want to go even cheaper, i would fill out your stash with:

24 small GMD flats
3 thirsties duo size 1 covers (these are awesome covers, but i don't think you ever really need 4 covers except when they're super newborn and pooping a million times a day, and you already have 4 covers for that stage, so you'll actually have 7)
24 cloth wipes (buy one or two old but still good condition flannel sheets and cut them into wipe size squares. hem around the edges with a zig-zag stitch or have a crafty friend do it. don't worry about rolling the edges, they're for cleaning poop, lol, not looking pretty!)
diaper pail liner and diaper pail (the best cloth diaper pail is a plain 5 gallon bucket - they have a locking lid and are big enough to hold 2-3 days worth of diapers)
2-3 wetbags

you have plenty of snappis...you really only need 1
This. Perfect to round out what you have, especially if you're wanting to go the really inexpensive route. The benefit of getting the Thirsties Duos covers is that they fit up to 18 lbs. (approx. 6-9 months, depending on your baby's size and weight), while the XS covers will only fit up to about 12 lbs. (0-3 months, approx.). So, since you're trying to get a stash that lasts up to 6 months, the Thirsties Duos covers would be a very cost-efficient option because they fit for so long.

An alternative to the Thirsties Duos would be getting 3 or 4 one-size Flips covers, which seem to fit most babies from 12 pounds on up. They work great with flats, too, because they have front and back flaps to keep the flats in place. Cotton Babies is also having a sale on Flip seconds covers right now, (mostly aplix closure is what's left) which makes them only $7 each; $28 for four of them with free shipping.

Oh, and as far as affordable wet bags/pail liners go, Kanga Care (makers of Rumparooz) is having a sale on seconds quality wet bags and pail liners...each one for $5 plus shipping (with shipping, it seems to wind up being around $7 each).
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say a half dozen of some AIO/Pockets/AI2 (fitted) would be an almost needed nice to have. Middle of the night changes and out and about when you are still new at diapering.

Also you need small/OS/duo covers to last until 6 months.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote