View Poll Results: What are your feelings about labor & delivery?
Only in a hospital 24 27.91%
Only at home (circumstances permitting) 33 38.37%
Open to both 29 33.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
For myself, I'd only birth in a hospital. There are a variety of reasons why, but my hospital births have been fine, so I have no problems with it. Of I was going to have a third baby, I would definitely hire a doula. DH is a useless birth partner, and I lucked out in my last two births having someone else there for me.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #32
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital vs. Home Birth...PLEASE HELP!!

I don't live very close to any hospitals and have already had a child (#2) in the car so leaving home during labor isn't really a good option for me. I opted to have a homebirth with #3 and am planning one with #4 as well. If given the option I'd honestly be happiest with a birth center birth, but the closest one is about 90 minutes away so it's just not a realistic option for me. I guess my view on homebirth is different though because I look at it more from the standpoint of, if something were to go wrong I would rather be at home with a trained professional who is prepared to handle a lot of situations vs. being in a moving vehicle 5-10 minutes away from anybody who could help. I also had some really awful experiences after showing up at the only decent hospital in this county when I had my DS1 in the car and I would never want to go back there just because of how I was treated and what happened. I'm not really anti-hospital birth, I just don't feel that it's right for me. I don't have a ton of suggestions about getting DH to come around since I think my DH was more into it than me . I do think you guys should research it and watch documentaries together. I also wanted to say that my DH was seriously useless during my first two births. Like throwing up, dizzy, distant type useless. At home he was like a completely different husband. He was there with me, supporting me the whole time which was really important to me and made the whole experience so much better.

Last edited by peaches330; 12-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I would never risk it, personally. I, too, have watched the Business of Being Born and I still chose a hospital birth for DS and will for this one too. I agree with the documentary that our system is broken but I don't believe women are powerless either. The patient still has rights. I am friends with my old OB/Gyn and she is increasingly frustrated by the number of home births. Just last year, she had two incidents with her patients which resulted in deaths (one was a mother that died and the other was a baby). The mother was known to have complications and told that she had to deliver at the hospital but she ignored it anyway. A third patient said she would not be delivering with the OB at the hospital but had complications at the last minute and ended up with a c-section in the ER to save her and baby. Anyway, I know that plenty of women have babies at home without incident but there are also plenty who die or have major issues so why risk it? Modern medicine has drastically reduced maternal and fetal mortality due to monitoring and preventative care. I realize that many mamas on here will not agree with me but I will choose the informed professional route.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Are midwives not informed professionals? My midwife was also a ND. How do they rank? I can respect your fear of birthing out of the hospital but to discredit midwifes is just

I'd never consider a hospital birth unless it was life or death. Babies and mothers die in the hospital.

Last edited by jaelynsmommy61607; 12-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
Honestly, I've got to be open to both since we're a family prone to wandering all around the country

If I have access to a CNM and I am low risk, yada yada yada, I'd never birth anywhere but home. I've always felt a really strong desire to do so.

However, if no CNMs were available, I would skip the home birth. I would perhaps consider making an exception and hiring a CPM who had a nursing/EMT degree, 20+ years experience, etc. but that's unlikely to happen.

In that case, I'd move up the chain of my preferences. Next would be free-standing birth center. After that would be a birth center attached to a hospital. Hospital would be last on the list, again, assuming all was well in the pregnancy.
There are also cpm/nd...that's what I went with.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #35
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

Are midwives not informed professionals? My midwife was also a ND. How do they rank? I can respect your fear of birthing out of the hospital but to discredit midwifes is just

I'd never consider a hospital birth unless it was life or death. Babies and mothers die in the hospital.
I already responded earlier on this thread...I wasn't meaning that CNM are not informed professionals but that they do not have the same level of training as OBs. Yes, I believe that CNM are certainly professionals. I certainly should havr phrased that statement better.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Didn't read all the responses but why is 45 mins too far to travel to the birth center? I gave birth at a hospital an hour away from where I live, in November in Canada (I was lucky we didn't have freezing rain until the day after my baby was born) and so have friends. Unless your babies come super duper fast I'd have the baby at the birth center.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 12-23-2012 at 03:37 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #37
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Personally I would consider a home birth under very specific circumstances-

A) My pregnancy would have to 100% low risk no whispers of an possible issues
B) I would have to be attended by a CNM with a butt load of experience, no CPMs or otherwise
c) I would have to live with in a 10 minute drive to a very good hospital with a NICU.

I would also have a relationship with an OB who would be aware of my plans and have my health history and pregnancy information.

There is a serious issue in my area and within the home birthing community right now where every home birth gone bad has been hushed up and no one will talk about it. I currently live 15 minutes from a hospital but I wouldn't ever opt to give birth there and they maternity unit is manned primarily by resident doctors who don't know their *** from their elbow. The closest decent emergency situation hospital is 45 minutes away. I'll be giving birth at another hospital about 50 minutes away, I'll give birth in the water with a CNM and I'm sure it will be very beautiful.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #38
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Babies and mothers die at home too. What it really boils down to is having a good provider; be it a CNM, OB or even a CPM who really really knows her stuff. There is no one size fits all when it comes to giving birth.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #39
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
Didn't read all the responses but why is 45 mins too far to travel to the birth center? I gave birth at a hospital an hour away from where I live, in November in Canada (I was lucky we didn't have freezing rain until the day after my baby was born) and so have friends. Unless your babies come super duper fast I'd have the baby at the birth center.
I'd never sit 45 min in the car while in labor.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
There is a serious issue in my area and within the home birthing community right now where every home birth gone bad has been hushed up and no one will talk about it.
I have to agree with you here. I was very hush hush about my homebirth-gone-bad story for the first 2-3 years of my son's life (not the fact that it happened, but that it was a traumatic homebirth). Covering up mistakes that were made and down-playing it all because A)I didn't want to give homebirth a bad name B)I didn't want to smudge my old midwife's name C)Blame was placed on me D)Many people in the natural community don't like to hear about the risks of similar choices actually happening. It was like the story no one ever wanted to hear, like no one wanted to acknowledge the homebirth that goes wrong, the ones that would have most likely turned out differently had it happened in the hospital. I know another homebirth lady near me who had an even more traumatic birth and she has said the same.
It does make one wonder about other homebirths kept quiet or downplayed because of similar reasons (there have been a few recent ones I've faintly heard of in our area... it's all a mystery because it can't be talked about!).
After a long journey of 4 years, I started opening up about my homebirth aspect and stopped being apologetic and so dern quiet about it all. Telling it straight (good, bad, and ugly) and not omitting. I hope other trauma-hmamas will do the same in time. It's a process though and a very personal process as well. It made me deal with guilt, with the honest to goodness mistakes I made and the midwife made, and so on, and the brutal truth about how it all affected my son forever. A bigtime, slightly overwhelming (so much easier to be in denial!) process!

Sorry to get on a tangent. You just spoke so honestly and I wanted to respond.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote