Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
vicky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm so tempted to wean

My last daughter nursed until 18 months, when she just randomly said she wanted a cup and never nursed again. However, when she was about 13-14 months old, I got tired of having absolutely no sleep because she nursed all night. I started to tell her that we couldn't nurse until the sun came up. It took 2-3 nights of her being mad at me, but she wasn't missing anything nutritionally, and I knew she would be fine. Once we had that rule in place, life was much better for both of us- I didn't realize what lack of sleep was doing to us! Good luck. It's so tough wanting to give them what they need and balancing that with what you need. I think its funny that such a small percentage of the population nurses this long. I have a newborn (like just had her last week), and on discharge, the nurse told me "If you are still nursing at 6 weeks, you'll need to tell the dr at your follow up so you guys can talk about it." I wasn't really sure what she meant, but I thought that it was really sad! My first son quit nursing cold turkey at 9 months, and for about 6 months, I really really missed it. I felt like something was really missing. I guess what I am saying is - make sure YOU are really ready if you decide to wean. It's your body and your call to make, I just don't want you to have any regrets. Good luck!!!

Advertisement